Quantcast
pork barrel

4 Baseco shooting suspects killed in shootout with police

By |


MANILA, Philippines — Four suspects in a Baseco shooting were killed while a barangay tanod (village watchman) was in critical condition after a shootout with police around noon of Easter Sunday in Port Area, Manila.

Senior Police Officer 1 Mario Asilo of the Manila Police District homicide section identified the suspects as Atto Muhammad, 36, a native of Shariff Aguak, Maguindanao; Alvin Pilas, 19, construction worker; brothers Nasid San Datu, 25; and Ontok San Datu, 21, residents of Baseco Compound.

The bodies, which all bore gunshot wounds in the head, lay in the alleys of Block 8 Extension, Baseco Compound, Barangay (village) 649, Zone 68, Asilo said.

Senior Superintendent Ronald Estilles, MPD deputy district director for operation, said the four were suspects in a shooting in Baseco on Saturday night that injured Jun Sarsosa, 38, a construction worker, and two boys, aged 10 and 8.

“The police conducted a follow-up operation and an encounter ensued when the suspects resisted,” Estilles said.

Baseco police community precinct head, Chief Inspector Nicholas Piñon, said the suspects had a grudge with Sarsosa, who was the target of the shooting on Saturday night, and the two boys playing outside were hit by stray bullets.

The three shooting victims were in stable condition, and the 10-year-old boy had been discharged from the hospital, Piñon said.

Junrey Cabual, watchman of Barangay 649, was hit in the stomach and was in critical condition from the shootout, barangay chair Kristo Hispano said.

A gun was recovered from each of the suspects, two .45-cal. and two .38-cal. pistols.

A sachet of suspected shabu (methamphetamine hydrochloride) and drug paraphernalia were also found on the suspects’ bodies.

Hispano said barangay officials received information that the suspects were in the area so they coordinated with the police for a follow-up operation.

“Based on information, they were the suspects in the shooting incident. They are not permanent residents here,” Hispano said.


Follow Us




Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: casualties in shootout with police , Crime , crime suspects , crime suspects killed , Homicide , Metro , News , police operations , Shooting , Shootout , shootout with police




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement