Quantcast
Latest Stories

Aquino cool to emergency power declaration

By
,

President Aquino on Thursday sounded cool to the idea of using emergency powers to deal with brownouts in Mindanao, but he assured the public that there would be an adequate power supply on Election Day on May 13.

“Maybe we should first define what kind of emergency powers needs to be done,” the President told reporters in Naga City in an interview aired over government-run dzRB.

He was responding to the call of the Zamboanga Chamber of Commerce Industry Foundation for him to use his emergency powers to address the problem.

Aquino acknowledged though that he could invoke the Electric Power Industry Reform Act of 2001 to declare a state of emergency, but this must be authorized by Congress.

Otherwise, there was a sufficient supply of water in the region’s hydropower plants to ensure an adequate electricity “especially for Election Day,” he said.

The President said Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla was due to present an “immediate solution,” such as purchasing or renting diesel-powered plants, to the “crisis” in Mindanao by Friday.

“We’ve found a way to ensure there won’t be a failure of election for lack of power,” he added.

For about a month now, Misamis Occidental, Lanao del Norte and Iligan City have been hit by two rounds of brownouts, with each round lasting from two to six hours.

Misamis Occidental 2 Electric Cooperative Inc. said the outages were caused by power supply deficiencies from the Agus and Pulangi hydroelectricity generation plants, which are operated by state-owned National Power Corp. (Napocor).

Officials, however, said that the long brownouts in Mindanao were an offshoot of the state-owned electricity generator’s action to conserve power for the midterm elections.

Napocor and Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corp. have been mandated by the Commission on Elections to ensure an adequate supply of power for the elections, its officials said.

Repair of hydro plants

Mindanao currently has a shortfall of 300 MW due to the repair of hydropower facilities in Bukidnon and Lanao and other factors, according to the energy department.

As part of the “immediate solution,” the government was considering purchasing diesel-powered plants and had been assured of authorization from Congress, Aquino said.

“Once that is done, that will be the stop-gap measure. We will either buy or rent from those that have the generating capacity. That will reduce brownouts there,” he said.

“Once the private power plants come on line by 2014, we will no longer need these expensive diesel power plants. We will bring them to missionary areas.”

In Davao City, Luwalhati Antonino, chairman of the Mindanao Development Authority (Minda), said that to ease the power shortage at least three diesel and bunker fuel-fed generators would be commissioned next month as repairs on hydropower facilities continued.

The energy department, however, said even if the hydropower facilities resumed normal operations, Mindanao would still suffer a power shortage because existing plants could produce up to only 1,181 MW while peak demand was expected to hit 1,484 MW this year.—With reports from Allan Nawal, Edwin Fernandez and Aquiles Zonio Inquirer Mindanao


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Benigno Aquino III , emergency powers , Energy , Mindanao , Philippines , Power crisis




To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • Napoles surgery in Makati hospital successful
  • Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  • Palace prepared to charge its allies
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces; Painters repulse Bolts
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement