Quantcast
Latest Stories

Worker exodus reported in Sta. Ana

Cagayan lawmaker says used-car trade ‘served purpose,’ new jobs needed

By

A BMW sports car is checked in Port Irene in Sta. Ana, Cagayan, the port of entry of used imported vehicles until the government banned the trade. RICHARD BALONGLONG/INQUIRER NORTHERN LUZON

BAYOMBONG, Nueva Vizcaya—Workers in the used-car industry at the Cagayan Special Economic Zone and Freeport (CSEZFP) in Sta. Ana, Cagayan, are starting to feel the economic pinch of a government ban on the importation of used vehicles.

Traders at the car lot in Casambalangan village on Tuesday confirmed that most of the workers, who are not natives of Sta. Ana, have returned home either to Subic or Metro Manila, about two weeks after the Bureau of Customs (BOC) stopped the processing of imported used vehicles there.

“They have left the area to look for jobs elsewhere. They can’t afford to stay in Sta. Ana without any means of livelihood,” said Jaime Vicente, head of the Automotive Rebuilding Industry in Cagayan Valley (Aric-V), the organization of used-car dealers at the CSEZFP.

In Baguio City on Sunday, Cagayan Representative Juan Ponce “Jack” Enrile Jr. said the government should help look for alternative livelihood sources for people who would lose their jobs because of the ban.

He said used-car dealers in Cagayan never sought his help because they knew that he was firm in respecting the Supreme Court decision.

“They knew my sentiments from the beginning. That this particular business, when it started there, I was very vocal and told them that, ‘You are going to have problems with that,’” said Enrile, who is running for senator under the United Nationalist Alliance.

According to Enrile, the used-car industry has “served its purpose.” Workers interviewed by the Inquirer said they did not understand the legal issues that stripped them of their jobs.

“It’s all politics. These things are happening all over again because it is the election season,” said Conrado Baclig, 52, a driver.

The lull in used-car trading devastated driver Bernard Samson, 48, who had looked forward to a simple high school graduation for his youngest daughter.

“I made the mistake of telling my daughter that I had lost my job. She cried,” Samson said.

Retail store owner Kennedy Agonoy, 36, said he too, is starting to feel the impact of the lull in used-car trading.

“When the workers left, they promised to be back in a few days, but that did not happen,” he said.

Vicente said at least 600 non-Sta. Ana residents had left the town. He said the industry employs about 2,500 people for office work or as drivers, welders, painters, conversion mechanics, electricians and vehicle detailers.

The exodus of laborers, mostly contractual workers, began early this month when the BOC and the Land Transportation Office stood firm on stopping the processing of at least 700 used vehicles that arrived in Port Irene last month.

The orders came on the heels of a Supreme Court decision on January 7 that ruled against the importation of used cars in a suit filed by Forerunner Multi-Resources Inc., the main licensee of used-car importation.

In 2008, Forerunner filed a suit questioning Executive Order No. 156, which imposed a partial ban on the importation of used vehicles, arguing that the EO was an abuse of power by then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. With a report from Desiree Caluza, Inquirer Northern Luzon


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Cagayan Freeport , Employment , Labor , Regions , Sta. Ana , Used-Car Trade




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Massive infra spending set
  5. OFW brings MERS virus to Philippines
  6. DOJ to NBI: Arrest Cedric Lee, 4 others
  7. Cardinal Tagle to faithful: Join politics to clean it
  8. Estrada, Gigi Reyes denied access to evidence from other respondents
  9. Lacson’s wife loses diamond earring to thieves but recovers jewelry quickly with police arrest
  10. DOJ orders arrest of Cedric Lee
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  4. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  5. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  6. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  7. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  8. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  9. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  5. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  6. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  7. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  8. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  9. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  10. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
Advertisement

News

  • Anti-gay demo in Ethiopia cancelled
  • Obama launches measures to support solar energy in US
  • Nebraska toddler gets stuck inside claw machine
  • Philippine eagle rescued by Army turned over to DENR
  • Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
  • Sports

  • Vietnam says it will not host Asian Games
  • Nadal passes clay landmark with 300th victory
  • Wawrinka waltzes through with Monte Carlo walkover
  • Power Pinays smash India in Asian Women’s Club volleyball opener
  • PH youth boxers off to stumbling start in AIBA World tilt
  • Lifestyle

  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Entertainment

  • Cannes film festival launches race for 2014 Palme d’Or
  • Jones, Godard, Cronenberg in competition at Cannes
  • Will Arnett files for divorce from Amy Poehler
  • American rapper cuts own penis, jumps off building
  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Business

  • Total says makes ‘very promising’ oil find off Ivory Coast
  • ‘Chinese Twitter’ firm Weibo to go public in US
  • World stocks subdued, Nikkei flat on profit taking
  • Asia stocks fail to match Wall Street gains
  • Fired Yahoo exec gets $58M for 15 months of work
  • Technology

  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Filipinos #PrayForSouthKorea
  • Taylor Swift tries video blogging, crashes into fan’s bridal shower
  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Malaysia quarantines 64 villagers over MERS virus
  • DFA: 2 Filipinos survive Korean ferry disaster
  • PH asks airline passengers to check for MERS
  • Syria most dangerous country for journalists, PH 3rd—watchdog
  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement