Quantcast
Latest Stories

After cash aid, training programs, skills matching next


Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman

BAGUIO CITY—Rosalina Caya-os, 44, a mother of five, had been certain she needed to learn livelihood skills long before she was listed as a beneficiary in the government’s conditional cash transfer (CCT) program.

She volunteered to undergo training when the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) implemented a rehabilitation program for Baguio City’s “street walkers of Magsaysay District.”

Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman said Caya-os’ determination to succeed proves that it is the individual’s choices and decisions that determine the efficacy of government assistance. Her case also disproves claims made by critics that the CCT program fosters laziness among the recipients, Soliman said.

“A family will not survive if they rely solely on the nominal amount being given at P1,400 a month,” she said. The program, she added, intends to keep poor families afloat by augmenting their nutrition, health and education expenses.

Soliman spent Women’s International Day here on Friday speaking to beneficiaries of the CCT program whom she described as “women who are determined to survive.”

“The Magsaysay Express girls were still active in those days. They were given livelihood training and because I did not know how to cook, I joined their training classes,” said Caya-os, a leader at Barangay (village) San Carlos Heights, one of the participating villages here in the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino program.

The DSWD offers capitalization through a loan under its self-employment assistance program. One of its Baguio recipients, Daisy Anogui, said it enabled her to sell her knitted products at key tourist spots, such as the public market, Teachers’ Camp and the Mines View Park.

But not all of the CCT”s beneficiaries have glowing observations about the program.

Some of the people who spoke to Soliman expressed concerns that many of them needed employment if they hope to earn a living.

The secretary acknowledged that families still have to strive for a better livelihood source to draw income. Soliman said DSWD works with other agencies to promote “skills matching” initiatives to get beneficiaries to hire other CCT families once they are able to expand their businesses.

Leonardo Reynoso, DSWD Cordillera director, said the agency would also open outlets for these businesses at the agency office in Baguio.

Soliman said the midterm elections were going to have an impact on the allocation of CCT monthly stipends. The elections require agencies like the DSWD to suspend project funds, except for salaries and operations.

The CCT cash assistance covering January and February has already been advanced, and the outlays for March and April will be released once the election ban is lifted, she said.

Soliman said her department would look into concerns that dependents of CCT recipients should be supported through college.

“We will ask President Aquino for additional funding so that we can send at least one dependent per family to college through the Student Grant-in-Aid program in partnership with the Commission on Higher Education,” she said. Roland Rabang, Inquirer Northern Luzon contributor


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: conditional cash transfer , Department of Social Welfare and Development , News , Regions




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  2. Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  3. Palace prepared to charge its allies
  4. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  5. Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  6. What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  7. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  8. Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  9. HK apology: Why Estrada and not Aquino?
  10. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • Camilla’s brother dies of NYC head injury
  • Nepal officials go to Everest to try to end crisis
  • Escudero ready to defend self should name appear in Napoles’ list
  • Obama calls for peaceful end to island dispute
  • Russia not abiding by agreement on Ukraine—Obama
  • Sports

  • Promoters Dela Hoya, Arum in talks for Pacquiao-Alvarez—report
  • Benzema guides Madrid to 1-0 win over Bayern
  • Suns’ Goran Dragic win NBA’s Most Improved Player award
  • Heat go up 2-0, hold off Bobcats 101-97
  • Ronaldo shakes off injury fears to play Bayern
  • Lifestyle

  • This woman ate what?
  • Photos explore dynamics of youths’ sexual identity
  • 12th Philippine Food Expo set at the World Trade Center
  • No tourist draw, Malang the croc will remain wild
  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Entertainment

  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • Sony developing live-action Barbie comedy
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • Business

  • Facebook profits triple as mobile soars
  • Insular Honors Sales Performers at Testimonial Rites
  • Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
  • Cost-recovery provisions for affected gencos urged
  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Technology

  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH-HK relations repaired, but families of victims still being courted
  • Filipinos in Middle East urged to get clearance before returning
  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement