Quantcast
Latest Stories

Cebu Customs seizes P116M of hot goods

By

An estimated P116 million worth of smuggled goods were seized by the Bureau of Customs in four different areas in Metro Cebu.

The cargo included rice, white sugar, counterfeit leather goods and personal accessories, firearms and a motorcycle in shipment from January to yesterday.

About a hundred million pesos worth of counterfeit goods were confiscated in a shopping center in barangay Pusok, Lapu-Lapu City.

In a surprise inspection, Customs officials led by Bureau of Customs Commissioner Rozzano Rufino Biazon found counterfeit bags, wallets and eyewear.

The store owner was not around during the inspection. The salesladies said the store is owned by a Korean.

Biazon said they will investigate further the store’s operation and inventory the store’s stocks.

Cebu Customs Collector Edward dela Cuesta estimated the value of the counterfeit goods at P100 million.

The group then went to a cargo forwarding services firm near the Mactan Cebu International Airport to check a confiscated motorbike worth about P800,000.

The “big bike” was consigned to Philippine IINO, a MEPZ locator, which said it had nothing to do with the shipment.

Earlier yesterday morning, dela Cuesta presented to Biazon confiscated shipments in the Cebu International Port (CIP) of imported rice and white sugar placed in 20 container vans.

These were misdeclared as construction materials and confiscated in operations last Feb. 22 and March 1.

Dela Cuesta said the shipment was stopped at the holding area since last week on suspicion that the shipment was misdeclared in violation of Section 2503 of the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines . The shipment was later subjected to an alert order from the Office of the Commissioner (Ocom).

Dela Cuesta said even without the alert order, the cargo would be automatically subjected to a 100 percent examination as this was already transferred to the holding area.

Based on the manifest, the shipment from Taiwan was said to contain insulator slab. But he said their intelligence report indicated that the shipment was suspected to contain sacks of rice.

Ten of the container vans which arrived on March 1 from Taiwan at the Cebu International Port (CIP) were consigned to a trading firm based in Mandaue City.

The other shipment of 10 container vans arrived in Feb. 22 at the CIP from Thailand and consigned to another trading firm also based in Mandaue City.

The smuggled rice was valued at P5 million to P10 million.

In line with dela Cuesta’s hold order, the Office of the Commissioner issued an alert order for the 20 container vans.

The apprehension of the shipment was the first since dela Cuesta assumed as district collector at the Port of Cebu last February 6. Biazon said the catch is part of their earnest efforts to fight against the smugglers and duty to protect the farmers complaining of undue competition from smuggled agriculture products dumped as cheap commodities in the market.

“We will be pursuing these violators and file cases against them,” he said

At the Customs office, they also presented the seized firearms estimated at around P400,000 which was confiscated from an Australian last Jan. 10 at the Port of Cebu. The firearms that were declared as personal effects were found in a 40 footer container. It consisted of one Sturm Ruger .357 Magnum, with 106 pieces of live bullets, one Star 9mm pistol with 94 pieces of ammunition and two magazines, a caliber .22 rifle and one M-16 rifle.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter

Other Stories:


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  3. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  4. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  7. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  8. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Ex-PBA player Bryan Gahol dies in road mishap
Advertisement

News

  • Napoles tags over 100 officials in pork scam – Lacson
  • Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  • Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  • 43 out of 414 Etihad passengers yet to be found, tested for MERS-CoV – Palace
  • Sandigan junks Marcos family claim to Paoay property
  • Sports

  • Rain or Shine holds off Meralco, forces Game 3
  • Power Pinays yield to Japan in Asian Women’s Club volleyball
  • Caguioa blasts ‘no heart, soft’ Ginebra on Twitter
  • San Mig Coffee grinds out win over Alaska to force decider
  • UP nips St. Benilde; Adamson blasts RTU in Filoil women’s caging
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Bollywood Oscars, film stars come to Florida
  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Business

  • SM to rebuild Tacloban hospital
  • PSEi slips after 4-day rally
  • Toyota sells 2.58 million vehicles, outselling GM
  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement