Taytay neighborhood association held liable in hacking of 2 sisters

A+
A
A-

MANILA, Philippines—The officers of the homeowners’ association handling security at a private subdivision in Taytay, Rizal, where two sisters were hacked in February may be charged with negligence, a police official said on Saturday, after the authorities found that several avoidable lapses enabled the sole suspect to escape.

Superintendent Danilo Bacas, Taytay chief of police, said that the civil charges could be filed against officers of the Palmera II Homeowners Subdivision Inc. in connection with the attack on Mary Christine Gino, 31, and her sister Mary Catherine, 27, by the former’s male companion, Richard  Belasa, on February 13.

While Mary Christine has been declared out of danger, Mary Catherine succumbed to hack wounds and died in hospital several hours after the attack.

She was buried at the Garden of Gethsemane Memorial Park in Antipolo City on February 20.

Belasa, meanwhile, has yet to be arrested.

Bacas said the police have yet to come up with a profile of Belasa and have several houses in his hometown under surveillance.

Although Aderis Dela Cruz, counsel for the Gino family, told the Inquirer over the phone that he had received information that the suspect had a pending warrant of arrest in connection with another murder case, Bacas said the police had no such information.

According to Bacas, the charges of negligence could be filed by Mary Christine or any of Mary Catherine’s grieving relatives.

“It’s their social obligation, but it’s still up to (the victims and their relatives) if they will pursue the charges,  Bacas said.

Bacas’ statement was prompted by his findings that there were security lapses in the subdivision at the time of the hacking.

Based on those findings, the police official recommended that an “enhancement” of security procedures be implemented there to prevent a repeat of the gruesome incident.

Among the police official’s recommendations was  a change in the shifting of security guards in the area.

“There was only one security guard” when the incident happened, Bacas said, pointing out that the number of security guards was not commensurate with the number of exit/ entrance points in the subdivision.

The lack of guards, he said, facilitated the escape of Belasa, who left the subdivision through one of the unguarded exit points.

Aside from the placement of security guards in those “strategic” points, Bacas recommended the assignment of at least two others to rove inside the subdivision.

He said the proposed increase in private security personnel was apart from the now-increased frequency with which policemen patrol what was once considered a peaceful area.

He also recommended the placement of more street lamps in the subdivision, adding that the “darkness” prevented some of the residents from seeing anything and reporting the incident any sooner.

While Dela Cruz said his clients had so far no plans of filing the civil charges,  he said he had already sent a request to the association to ask its officers for clarification on the status of security during the hacking.

Inquirer Viber

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

  • gilbs72

    Ang tingin ko po PNP ang pangunahing responsable sa seguridad ng mamamayan. Ang pagkaron ng security guard ay dagdag lang na seguridad na kaya lamang ng iilang mamamayan. Paano naman yung mga di nakatira sa subdibisyon o mga subdibisyon na walang security guard?  Sino ang kakasuhan nila sa kapabayaan?  Kelangan din ba sila magbayad na ngayon ng security agency?  Kung kakasuhan nila ang security service ng subdibisyon, ay pwede din kasuhan ang primary security na ang PNP. Di pwede magturo ang PNP tapos linis kamay sa pananagutan.

    • http://www.pulisnapogi.blogspot.com/ Pulis Na Pogi

       ok sana yan kung pagbibigyan din ng mga subdivisions na pumasok ang pulis para magpatrulya.  kaso karamihan sa kanila ayaw magpapasok ng pulis so in effect, sinasagot na nila ang security ng mga homeowners nila.

      tama si bacas.  those people should be held accountable…

  • kabayandinako

    PNP humahanap lang ng lusot sa mga nagaganap na krimen na di nila kayang pangalagaan. Alisin na kaya ang PNP at ibigay na lang ang pagpapatupad ng katahimikan sa mga mamamayan. Malaki ang matitipid ng Pinas. Ganon ba gusto nyo PNP?

    • http://profile.yahoo.com/4XVVCOAZXYTPN2X3IPFCFDSKFM Melvin

      Kabayan, ang pangyayari ay naganap sa loob ng subdivision, at ang security ng mga nakatira dito ay nasa pangangalaga na mayari ng subdivision o association ng mga home owners. Kaya nga may mga gate sila na dapat ay laging nagugwardiyahan…  Hindi sa ipinagtatanggol ko ang PNP…

  • OleSapra aka ARGUS

    PALMERA II HOMEOWNERS’ ASSN INC (PHAI) NOT RECOGNIZED BY HLURB

    Magmula noong October 14, 2003 kung kaila’y naisyuhan ng Certificate of Filing of Amended By-Laws mula HLURB ang newly elected PHAI BOD and Officers ay hindi na muling nakapag-convene ang Homeowners’ Association hanggang ngayong taong 2013.

    Noong November 28, 2009 ay nagsagawa ng “mock” election ang isang grupo ng homeowners. Ang moro-morong (s)election na ito ay isang uri ng kutsabahan sa pagitan ng subdivision developer at Manila Water upang magbuo ng isang pekeng Palmera II Homeowners Association Inc (PHAI).

    Sa pamamagitan ng pekeng PHAI, ang subdivision developer na si Sen. Manny Villar at ang Manila Water (Tripartite) ay nagpirmahan silang tatlo sa isang dokumento (Memorandum of Agreement) nang lingid sa kaalaman ng buong homeowners ng Palmera Hills II Subdivision.

    Magpapatupad ang Developer at ang Manila Water as masterminds, at ang PHAI bilang “kolektor” nila, ng right-of-way toll fees na sinisingil ng tripartite sa halagang P438 monthly kada homeowner mula sa mga nagpakabit ng Nawasa water. Mula noon hanggang sa sumandaling ito’y patuloy pa rin ang kanilang illegal exaction sa aming 980 legitimate homeowners.

    Samakatwid, hindi lamang civil liability ang dapat isampang kaso laban sa pekeng homeowners association at sa kanilang mga security guards dahil sa tinamong sugat sa pananaga ng salarin sa magkapatid na ikinamatay ng isa, kundi, isama na rin ang criminal aspect ng kaso laban sa kanila.

    ANA: “Madali lang namang mapapatunayan ng Taytay Police na talagang peke ang homeowners association porke walang BIR registration ito bukod pa sa hindi recognized ng HLURB, o, ‘di ba?”

    LISA: “Oy, ‘lamobang kinasuhan na dati ni Sir Leo ‘yang pekeng PHAI na ‘yan sa Piskalya, pero, biglang na-dismiss ang kaso at ‘tsaka biglang nagkaroon ng brandnew car ‘yung humawak na tomboy na fixcal?”

    CION: “Gayun man, lahat ng documentary evidence, about one inch thick, eh isinumiteng lahat ni Sir Leo sa Ombudsman for investigation. ‘Lamoyon?” 

     

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94


editors' picks

advertisement

popular

advertisement

videos