Quantcast
Latest Stories

DSWD agrees to inclusive review of aid beneficiaries

By ,

DAVAO CITY—Negotiations between thousands of Typhoon “Pablo” survivors and social welfare officials ended on Wednesday with an agreement to review the list of relief beneficiaries.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) agreed to add to the list those not listed earlier but were victims of the typhoon.

It was also agreed that the protesters would be given 100 sacks of rice as they returned home Wednesday night.

The third day of the typhoon survivors’ protest was marred by a scuffle between the protesters and police outside the DSWD compound here.

Two people were arrested during the scuffle.

Earlier, protesters accosted a plainclothes policeman mingling with the typhoon survivors and seized his 9-mm pistol. They handed over the gun to a uniformed police officer.

A policeman was hurt in the brief scuffle that started when people blocked a police vehicle as it brought in food for policemen keeping the peace at the protest site.

The protesters started their “occupation” outside the DSWD regional office on Monday afternoon to denounce the agency’s alleged inept delivery of relief and rehabilitation services to areas devastated by Typhoon Pablo in December last year. They belong to the militant Barug Katawhan, a group of storm survivors from Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental.

On Tuesday morning, they knocked down one of the compound’s front gates and carried away sacks of rice and boxes of relief goods. In the afternoon, however, the police forcibly took back the goods, again resulting in a brief riot that left several protesters and policemen injured.

“These relief items were allocated for us. Why is the government depriving us of these items?” said Karlos Trangia, spokesman of the group.

Acts of aggression

In Manila, the DSWD on Wednesday said the goods were intended for victims of Tropical Depression “Crising” in Davao del Norte, which struck Mindanao last week. It vowed to take legal action against the Barug Katawhan for raiding its regional office, destroying government property and stealing the relief items.

Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman said she was saddened by “these acts of aggression directed at our field office, as well as our personnel.” She said her department “has been faithfully serving all sectors affected by the calamity.”

“Our people work 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide much-needed services. We respond to the exigency of public service at great cost to ourselves and our families. That we are now being subjected to harassment is deplorable,” she added.

Trangia said his group was also demanding the immediate release of 10,000 sacks of rice promised by Soliman when a protest roadblock was erected in Montevista town in Compostela Valley on Jan. 15.

The secretary, however, said the rice would be given as soon as the Barug Katawhan provided the DSWD with a list of beneficiaries, the places where they came from, the distribution plan and local coordinators.

What was submitted to the DSWD was a list of repacking areas and the names of people who agreed to have these places used as distribution sites, Soliman said.

She said the DSWD had contacted at least two persons on the list and they denied agreeing to have their places used as repacking areas.

Countercheck

 

“Our intent in requiring them to provide the list is to countercheck it with our lists. This is to clarify their allegations that some families were not receiving relief goods or are not on the list,” said acting Director Priscilla Razon of the DSWD regional office.

“If there are really families not listed in our system, then we will include them,” Razon added.

But the organization said the residents were apprehensive to give their names because this might be used against them. Eight leaders of the group and its supporters have been charged in court for joining the roadblock.

Trangia said the DSWD was only passing on its responsibility to the people.

“What we are offering is that everyone will sign once they receive the goods in their villages. It will be transparent and the DSWD has nothing to worry about these goods getting to people who are not recipients,” he said.

Lawmakers on Wednesday took the side of the typhoon survivors who, they claimed, were just venting their helplessness and desperation.

“There could have been some peaceful compromise only if the DSWD officials were present to listen and respond to the people’s cries,” said Bayan Muna Rep. Teodoro Casiño, who was in Davao City on Monday for his senatorial campaign.

“What triggered it was that no one from the DSWD was negotiating with them. I was informed that by Tuesday morning, there was still no response. The people were willing to have their names listed as long as there is somebody who will come to their assistance.”

Cagayan Rep. Jackie Enrile accused the social welfare officials of treating the people like “animals. “

“It is sad to see these people being reduced to subhuman standards. First you see them stopping food convoys, then they are being forced to eat rotten rice unfit for consumption even by animals,” Enrile said in a statement. “What is more devastating is the hopelessness and desperation that comes after a calamity.”

‘Warranted by situation’

Anakpawis Rep. Rafael Mariano said the victims’ acts were warranted by the situation.

“Hungry and desperate typhoon victims have all the right to take what are rightfully theirs. Their actions are justified. It is the government’s duty to provide relief and rehabilitation assistance to its disaster-stricken constituents,” Mariano said.

Gabriela Rep. Luz Ilagan said the DSWD regional office should explain its harsh actions against the protesters.

“What happened at the DSWD office was simply cruel, heartless and inexcusable. The protesting typhoon victims did not ask for anything more than what was promised and they did not ask for anything more than what they needed to survive. Is what they are asking too much?” Ilagan said.

“International aid poured for Typhoon Pablo victims. Why is the DSWD depriving them of food and treating them like rats? They are being victimized twice, even three times over,” she said.

In a statement, evangelist Bro. Eddie Villanueva assailed the department for its “failure to quickly and efficiently distribute relief goods.”

“Instead of threatening to press legal charges against the typhoon victims and their leaders, Secretary Dinky Soliman should examine the agency’s relief goods distribution chain in typhoon-affected communities,” said Villanueva, the Bangon Pilipinas party’s lone senatorial candidate.

“While I do not condone the manner by which the typhoon victims took relief goods from the DSWD office, the desperation behind the group’s action showed a deep discontent toward the failure of the government to help alleviate their plight, especially after the storm ravaged their communities,” he said.

Donations

As of 3 p.m. on Wednesday, a total of 220 sacks of rice sent by anonymous donors arrived at the barricade site. Some people sent bread.

In a radio interview, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio said she had given the city’s police chief, Senior Supt. Ronald de la Rosa, authority to disperse the protesters.

“I gave De la Rosa full authority to disperse the rally at all cost as soon as possible today,” she said. “I ordered De la Rosa to arrest the protesters in case of resistance or if they create violence in the course of the dispersal.”

Arrested during Wednesday’s scuffle were Conrado Capili of Monkayo and Daniel Binang of Compostela, both in Compostela Valley.

The city government also sent buses to ferry the protesters to their places of origin. But the protesters said they would hold their line.—With reports from Cynthia D. Balana, Gil C. Cabacungan and Jerry Esplanada in Manila


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Department of Social Welfate and Development , Philippines - Regions , protest , Rights and justice , social welfare , typhoon Pablo survivors , typhoon relief




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  4. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  5. Senator Pimentel backs German think tank’s stand vs dynasties
  6. Bar proctor suspended for photographing test papers
  7. Collector Danny Garcia says Inquirer worth more than news
  8. Meteor shower to light up PH skies
  9. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  5. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  8. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  9. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Healing priest invites political leaders to join ‘prayer for nation’
  • Tagle: Christ’s resurrection a message of hope to faithful
  • Aquino vows to intensify anti-corruption drive further
  • Unease in Vatican over cardinal’s luxury flat—report
  • Nepal calls off search for missing guides on Everest—official
  • Sports

  • Rain or Shine grabs No.4, sends Ginebra to 8th
  • Red-hot Alaska rips injury-depleted San Mig Coffee
  • Pacquiao courtesy call to Aquino set for Monday
  • Nick Calathes suspension a reminder of supplement risk
  • Teague scores 28 as Hawks soar past Pacers in Game 1
  • Lifestyle

  • Angono petroglyphs in danger of disappearing
  • Britain’s baby Prince George visits Australian zoo
  • Noli Yamsuan, Cardinal Sin’s ‘official’ photographer: ‘I could smell the aftershave lotion of the Pope’
  • Simplifying and lightening life
  • Where to go for Easter night-out
  • Entertainment

  • Show-biz celebrities’ other choices of summer getaway
  • Why ‘Noah’ can’t dock his ark at Philippine theaters
  • Acclaimed artist goes wild while on holiday
  • Believing in this mermaid
  • Missing Xian
  • Business

  • Supper power
  • Condo unit sales boosted Shang Properties earnings
  • ERC mulls over WESM price cap for May, June
  • Whatever happened to the ubiquitous pagers?
  • Huge 2013 net profits seen difficult to surpass in 2014
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Epiphany
  • Unpaid creditor vs distressed debtor
  • Moving on
  • From culinary desert to paradise
  • Response to China: ‘Usjaphil’
  • Global Nation

  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Aquino, Obama to tackle US pivot to Asia during state visit
  • Asia seeks Obama’s assurance in territorial spats
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement