Police nab another NPA member involved in Bukidnon attacks
MANILA, Philippines—An alleged member of the New People’s Army involved in the attacks of multinational firms Dole and Del Monte in Bukidnon last week was arrested Tuesday night, police said Wednesday.
Police Chief Superintendent Catalino Rodriguez, Regional Director of Northern Mindanao police, said in a statement that joint elements of Libona Municipal Police Station and the Regional Public Safety Battalion arrested Valeriano Anonsaon Jr., known as “Junior,” in Sil-ipon village, Libona, Bukidnon at about 10 p.m. Tuesday.
The arrest brings to three suspects allegedly involved in the attacks arrested by police. Two were earlier arrested in a follow-up operation by government forces in Kihare village in Manolo Fortich town.
Local police of Libona received reports that Anonsaon was last spotted in Sil-ipon village where he was recuperating from the injuries he sustained in an encounter with Army personnel on February 23, Rodriguez said.
Three rebels were killed, while three others were injured in the said clash, he added.
The management of Del Monte is now coordinating with the local police in the filing of arson cases against the arrested suspects.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94