Aquino ups domestic tourism target to 56.1M
LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines—President Aquino has raised the domestic tourism target for 2016 to 56.1 million travelers from the original target of 35.5 million.
Aquino on Wednesday announced the new goal at the inauguration of property developer Megaworld’s new project, “The Mactan Newtown,” here.
“Our revisions are a result of very good news I received from Tourism Secretary [Ramon] Jimenez, which I am really excited to share with you,” Aquino said.
In 2011, the government recorded 37.5 million domestic travelers, he said.
“Just to put this number into perspective, this already surpassed our original 2016 target of 35.5 million domestic travelers. Given this very positive growth in domestic travel, Secretary Jimenez and the [Department of Tourism] has raised the 2016 domestic tourism target to 56.1 million travelers,” he said.
But Aquino did not say how the government is tracking Filipino tourists, or whether the figures are based solely on plane ticket sales, or other modes of transportation such as ferries and buses.
“By then (2016), we expect that we will need more than 37,000 additional rooms in our destination clusters, which includes Cebu,” Aquino said.
Megaworld’s P20-billion Mactan project, which covers 20 hectares of prime property, is a mixed-use special economic zone, and thus enjoys tax incentives and holidays for investors.
“For example, part of this complex will include a hotel, which will help us provide the rooms to reach our revised target for domestic and international tourists,” Aquino said.
Megaworld chairman Andrew Tan said: “In the next five to seven years, we are investing P20 billion in this township to build luxury residential condominiums, office towers, a world-class lifestyle mall, our very own Richmonde Hotel and, soon, a sports and leisure facility.”
Just two weeks ago, the President admitted in Dipolog City that the territorial dispute between the Philippines and China had taken its toll on the country’s tourism industry.
The Department of Tourism’s failure to meet its target of 4.6 million tourist arrivals last year was blamed on the tensions between the two countries over rival claims to territory in the West Philippine Sea.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94