Gov orders evacuation of 2 towns in Compostela Valley
More News from Frinston L. Lim
More News from Inquirer Mindanao
TAGUM CITY, Philippines—Local authorities on Tuesday urged residents of flood-prone areas in Davao del Norte and Compostela Valley to move to safer ground as tropical depression “Crising” approached southern Mindanao.
Gov. Arturo Uy ordered the preemptive evacuation of hundreds of families in Compostela and New Bataan towns in Compostela Valley as the province braced itself for yet another storm in the wake last December’s devastating typhoon Pablo.
Raul Villocino, provincial disaster officer, said local disaster teams have also been put on standby and rubber boats and other rescue equipment dispatched to Compostela town in the event of another flooding.
The town, one of those badly hit by last December’s typhoon, was also devastated by the flooding that affected a large area in southern Mindanao late last month.
In nearby New Bataan, the municipality worst-hit in last year’s deadly weather disturbance, families were again forced to flee to safer ground.
Classes in the elementary level were also suspended in many areas in Compostela Valley, according to officials.
The province of Davao del Norte is also girding for the storm.
Local disaster relief terams in the province were being readied for deployment as the need arises, according to Romulo Tagalo, assistant provincial administrator.
Davao del Norte, including the Island Garden City of Samal, Compostela Valley and 17 other areas in Mindanao have been placed under Storm Signal No. 1, according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa).
Tagalo, the Davao del Norte official, said pre-emptive evacuations were now underway in Florida village, in Kapalong town, one of the municipalities affected by last January’s flooding.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these chat apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94