Facebook, print traffic updates on bridge repairs
More News from Cebu Daily News
FROM Facebook to handbills and newspapers, the Mandaue City government will publicize its re-routing schemes for passenger jeepneys to be affected by the rehabilitation of the old Mandaue-Mactan bridge which starts work on Feb. 25.
“The Traffic Enforcement Agency in Mandaue (TEAM) was already instructed to make the plans for the re-routing scheme,” the mayor’s executive secretary Jamaal James Calipayan said.
The re-routing scheme is being worked out after the Mactan-Cebu Bridge Management Board (MCBMB) approved the rehabilitation plans of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) last Feb. 13.
Calipayan said unlike private vehicle owners, passenger jeepneys will use whatever routes are convenient for them.
The DPWH sent plans for the rehabilitation of the old bridge and the Fernan bridge to Mandaue City Hall.
“As early as last week we have already forwarded the DPWH plans to the TEAM and City Engineering Office,” Calipayan said.
While uncertain how many personnel they will deploy, Calipayan said they will use online and traditional media to inform the public of the re-routing scheme.
“The public is advised to seek updates on social networking sites like the Facebook account of the Mandaue City government if they want to be updated on the traffic situation and rerouting,” Calipayan said.
He said they will also distribute handbills to strategic locations and publish the re-routing scheme in the local dailies.
Calipayan said the bridge repairs will also delay the asphalting project along P. Burgos Street.
He said they don’t want to worsen traffic congestion by implementing the project, one of five priority projects of the Mandaue City government worth P90 million that is targeted for implementation in the first quarter of this year.
The contractor already started the road plotting for the P8 million asphalting project in front of the Bureau of Immigration (BI) office and reaching the back of Pacific Mall.
Still, Calipayan said they advised the contractor to work on one lane at the time preferably late in the evening when there is less traffic.
“We hope this project will proceed before the March 29 election ban,” he said. /Jucell Marie P. Cuyos, Reporter
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these chat apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94