Jesse’s tips for public officials
More News from Cebu Daily News
Ballet Philippines’ ‘Blue Moon Series,’ Tanghalang Pilipino’s ‘Pahimakas sa Isang Ahente’ lead Philstage Gawad Buhay!’s 2014 3rd-quarter citations
“How will you try to remain a person of integrity once you are elected into office?”
This survey question by Dilaab Movement in 2007 was sent to Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo as part of its advocacy for good governance.
This was his reply:
* Avoid spending personal money in helping your constituency (unless you are Ambassador Danding, Jaime Zobel, etc.).
* Legitimate constituency needs (medical, emergency transportation, burial, etc.) should be paid for by the government. There is what we call the AICS (Assistance to Indigents in Crisis Situaions) Program authorized by DSWD that can address these.
* Never spend what you cannot earn legally. This unburdens you of the pressure to get the funds from some other sources.
* Avoid bad company. Limit you “social life”.
* Live a frugal life.
* Request relatives and family members to “stay away” from all transactions with your local government. This might entail some sacrifices because they might have been dealing with the local government before you got elected.
* Leaders should not only be honest but should be perceived to be honest as well.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94