Quantcast
Latest Stories

Ebdane ordered House raid –Santiago

By ,

The police official who purportedly took part in a 2005 operation to steal and switch election returns (ERs) kept at the House of Representatives now says he carried out an order directly given to him by then Philippine National Police Director General and now Zambales Gov. Hermogenes Ebdane Jr.

Senior Supt. Rafael Santiago said it was Ebdane who asked him during a meeting at a Quezon City coffee shop to coordinate with an election “operator” to replace the ERs with fakes.

The alleged scheme was supposed to ensure then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo would still emerge the winner in the 2004 elections in the event of a recount.

In an affidavit expected to be submitted Thursday to the Department of Justice (DOJ), Santiago said it was Ebdane, then serving as national security adviser to Arroyo, who personally introduced him to Ruel “El” Bello, who he later learned was an election operator.

In his first narration to the Inquirer last week, Santiago stated that Ebdane was at the meeting but did not categorically say that the latter had given him the direct order.

Not intentional

“It was not intentional that I failed to mention it, but sometimes there are details that get lost in the process,” Santiago explained in an interview on Wednesday.

The whistle-blower recalled that the meeting took place at a Figaro coffee shop on Commonwealth Avenue on Jan 19, 2005, from around 6:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

“Ebdane, being familiar with me, (we) having been together… during the December 1989 failed coup, introduced me to my supposed counterparts in the operation which I clearly recall as one El Bello and a certain Arnold,” Santiago said in his affidavit.

He said Bello arrived at the coffee shop ahead of him and that then PNP Special Action Force (SAF) chief, Supt. Marcelino Franco, was also at the meeting.

Santiago recalled that, at the start of the meeting, Bello told Ebdane that his father—former Election Supervisor Roque Bello—was also supposed to join them but could not make it as he was sick and bedridden.

“It was all right with him (Ebdane) since the responsibility, he said, had been delegated to Mr. El Bello,” he said,

Santiago said Ebdane also told the group “that the operations must be implemented not later than the last week of January.” The alleged Batasan break-ins were carried out on Jan. 23 and 29, and Feb. 5 and 27, 2005.

Franco, he said, also reminded him to fast track the operations.

“We were told by Mr. El Bello that their requirement was for the SAF to provide access and security for his group to be able to enter the Batasang Pambansa complex and penetrate the enclosed and secured area at the lobby of the south wing building,” Santiago added.

Uncomfortable

He said he became uncomfortable with what was being discussed, but that he just kept quiet.

“I was very much surprised by the nature of the operation after listening to Mr. El Bello, that I started to feel cold,” he added.

After the meeting, Santiago said, he and Bello exchanged phone numbers.

Later, he said, Franco made repeated follow-ups and asked for updates on his “coordination relative to the impending operations.”

Santiago also said Chief Insp. Ferdinand Ortega, the SAF commander detailed at Batasan at the time, was recruited in the operation, and that he later gave El Bello’s phone numbers to Ortega.

Mayuga Report

Also on Wednesday, President Aquino said the controversial report that looked into the military’s involvement in alleged election cheating in 2004 stopped short of implicating former President Arroyo, and that it apparently held back on this sensitive issue.

“I don’t recall … that it was pointing in that particular direction,” Mr. Aquino said when asked whether the so-called Mayuga Report, which had never been released to the press but whose two-page summary he had read, had implicated Arroyo in the alleged poll fraud.

“The issue seemed to have started on that track which would have led to that direction, but the questioning on this line stopped and the topic was changed,” he told reporters.

Mr. Aquino said a review made by the Presidential Management Staff showed that “when it came to delicate topics, the line of questioning was being diverted.”

He doubted, though, whether it was deliberate on the part of those who prepared the report. “Difficult to say deliberate, because you’re talking of intentions,” he said.’

In 2005, a five-member panel led by former Philippine Navy chief, Vice Admiral Mateo Mayuga, cleared top generals of involvement in the ‘’Hello Garci’’ poll rigging scandal that cast a shadow over Arroyo’s 2004 victory.

The President also vented his frustration over the fact that the government could no longer go after the election-related violations as revealed in the report since the prescription period for these cases had expired in 2009, a year before he came into office.

“May pagka-bakla (half-cooked),” was how Justice Secretary Leila de Lima described the report’s synopsis.

“Like what the President said, there were some gaps on topics that were sensitive and these were being diverted in the course of the investigation,” De Lima told Palace reporters.

Not keen on knowing

At the House, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte said the chamber was not keen on knowing who really won in the 2004 presidential race and would leave the matter to appropriate agencies like the Commission on Elections or the DOJ.

Belmonte stressed this when asked about a committee investigation that he called on the supposed Batasan break-in.

“I told the committee that it can go ahead and look at it not so much on its impact on the national elections but on the fact that it happened here, how it happened, and how we can prevent it from happening in the future,” he said. With a report from Cynthia Balana


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Batasang Pambansa break-in , election operator , Election returns (ERs) switching , Justice Secretary Leila de Lima , Mayuga report , Ruel “El” Bello , Senior Supt. Rafael Santiago , Zambales Gov. Hermogenes Ebdane Jr.




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  2. Chinese lawyers say they were tortured by police
  3. Hair salon’s Kim Jong Un poster riles embassy
  4. Siquijor ‘healer’: For every cure, there’s a plant
  5. State seeks guilty verdict for Abalos
  6. Why college grads end up in the PNP
  7. Estrada: I will pray for my detractors
  8. Miraculous image makes Gapan City top site for pilgrimage in Central Luzon
  9. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  10. Five men from Cavite found dead in jeep in Batangas
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • After quake, makeshift churches welcome pilgrims in Bohol
  • UN warns banana fungus spreading from Southeast Asia
  • Massive infra spending set
  • ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  • Cardinal Tagle to faithful: Join politics to clean it
  • Sports

  • Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  • Manny Pacquiao in PBA? If so, he’ll wear No. 17
  • PSC sets Blu Girls US training
  • Power Pinoys settle for 7th place
  • Successful coaches to get raise
  • Lifestyle

  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • The truffled mac ‘n’ cheese, eggs benedict, chicken leg confit are excellent
  • Entertainment

  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Derek more private with new girlfriend
  • ‘Community’ star happy with return of show’s creator
  • Jealousy is kid stuff
  • Mommy-daughter adventure continues
  • Business

  • PH presses bid to keep rice import controls
  • PSEi continues to gain
  • Number of retrenched workers rose by 42% in ’13
  • PH seen to sustain rise in FDIs
  • Gov’t subsidies to state firms fell in first 2 months
  • Technology

  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Another reason to quit social media this Holy Week: your safety
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • First Fil-Am elected to Sierra Madre, Calif. city council
  • UC Irvine cultural night to dramatize clash of values in immigrant family
  • Filipino sweets and info served at UC Berkeley Spring Fest
  • Milpitas, California kids wrap up a successful run of ‘The Wiz’
  • Netizens welcome Japan’s visa-free travel plan
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement