Quantcast
Latest Stories

Ex-vice mayor in Maguindanao admitted as state witness in 2009 massacre case

By

MEMORIES THAT WILL NOT DIE Workers put finishing touches to a shrine where 58 Filipinos, most of them journalists, died in the infamous Maguindanao massacre. JEOFFREY MAITEM/INQUIRER MINDANAO

MANILA, Philippines — A Quezon City court has dropped a former vice mayor as an accused in the 2009 Maguindanao massacre case following his admission as a state witness by the Department of Justice (DOJ).

Quezon City regional trial court branch 221 Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes deferred the arraignment of former Sultan sa Barongis town vice-mayor Zukarno Badal and accepted the amended information discharging him as an accused.

In her February 13 order, Reyes ruled that Badal’s qualification to be discharged as state witness by the justice department must be respected. The former vice-mayor was admitted by the DOJ into the witness protection program on November 10, 2010.

“The court is of the opinion that said agency’s finding must be accorded with respect,’’ the judge said in granting the prosecution’s motion to exclude Badal as an accused.

State prosecutors have said that the former vice-mayor’s testimony and knowledge of the events surrounding the November 23, 2009 slaughter are necessary and can be corroborated by evidence.

They said that Badal was admitted into the DOJ witness protection program because he did not appear to be the most guilty nor had he been convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude.

The arguments were opposed by former Maguindanao governor Andal Ampatuan Sr., his two sons and some relatives, who are primarily accused of planning and orchestrating the Maguindanao massacre. Andal Ampatuan Sr. and Andal Jr. cried “prosecutorial abuse” charging the prosecution with serious mismanagement in handling cases as they claimed that seeking Badal’s exclusion violated the rules on the discharge of an accused.

They cited a pending petition in a Manila court on the propriety of Badal’s admission in the witness protection program. The prosecution claimed that the suit had already been dismissed.

The discharge of Badal brings to 194 the number of accused for the 2009 slaughter of 58 persons, including 32 mediamen.

The victims had joined a convoy of the wife of then Buluan town vice mayor Esmael Mangudadatu to Shariff Aguak to file his certificate of candidacy for governor of Maguindanao.

All the victims were killed allegedly by members of the Ampatuan clan and their henchmen in Sitio Masalay, Salman (village) near Ampatuan town, where some were buried along with their vehicles after the carnage.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: accused in criminal trial , Andal Ampatuan Jr. , Andal Ampatuan Sr. , Crime , Department of Justice , Jocelyn Solis-Reyes , judges , law and justice , Maguindanao massacre , multiple murder , Murder , News , Quezon City Regional Trial Court , state witnesses , Zukarno Badal




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  2. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  3. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  4. Sandigan junks Marcos family claim to Paoay property
  5. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  6. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  7. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  8. Maid confesses in killing of 2 and stabbing of employer in Laguna
  9. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  10. Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • Ex-church leader nabbed for selling drugs
  • Camilla’s brother dies in US after head injury
  • Luisita farmers storm DAR compound
  • Trillanes, Ejercito confident they are not in Napoles’ list
  • Easterlies to prevail in Luzon, Visayas
  • Sports

  • Heat go up 2-0, hold off Bobcats 101-97
  • Ronaldo shakes off injury fears to play Bayern
  • Mavs roll past Spurs 113-92, even series at 1-1
  • Phelps having fun in his return to swimming
  • Murray breaks down in tears at Scottish ceremony
  • Lifestyle

  • Photos explore dynamics of youths’ sexual identity
  • 12th Philippine Food Expo set at the World Trade Center
  • No tourist draw, Malang the croc will remain wild
  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Homemade yogurt, bread blended with pizza, even ramen
  • Entertainment

  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • Sony developing live-action Barbie comedy
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • Business

  • Facebook profits triple as mobile soars
  • Insular Honors Sales Performers at Testimonial Rites
  • Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
  • Cost-recovery provisions for affected gencos urged
  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Technology

  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos in Middle East urged to get clearance before returning
  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement