Quantcast
Latest Stories

Spanish king’s son-in-law fails to make bail payment


MADRID—Spanish King Juan Carlos’ son-in-law faced having his assets frozen Thursday after he failed to pay bail in a corruption case that has rocked the monarchy.

Inaki Urdangarin and former associate Diego Torres Perez had until the end of Wednesday to jointly pay 8.2 million euros ($11.1 million) as ordered by a court in Palma on the Mediterranean island of Mallorca.

The bail is being applied in a civil case, and failure to pay it could lead to their property being seized but would not result in the pair being sent to prison.

The two men are suspected of syphoning off millions of euros paid by regional governments to the Noos Institute, a charitable organisation based in Palma which Urdangarin chaired from 2004 to 2006.

The money was meant to cover the cost of staging sporting and tourism events.

Urdangarin and Perez have both denied any wrongdoing and have not been charged with any crime.

They have also appealed the bail amount, which Urdangarin’s lawyer Pascual Vives called “exaggerated”.

But the Palma court which is carrying out the investigation said Thursday that since the bail had not been paid, it would order the men to draw up a list of assets with an equivalent worth that would be frozen.

Urdangarin’s assets include a luxury home in the exclusive Pedralbes area of Barcelona that he acquired with his wife in 2004, reportedly for around six million euros.

A court source said that no assets would be seized immediately however.

“His private mansion will not be seized tomorrow. It is a slow process,” she told AFP.

Earlier this week Vives said he might ask Spain’s Constitutional Court to call off the investigation on the grounds that Urdangarin has not been able to defend himself properly.

Urdangarin, who acquired the title of Duke of Palma in 1997 when he wed the king’s youngest daughter Cristina, has been called to appear before the Palma court on February 23.

The 45-year-old former Olympic handball player was jeered in February last year when he arrived at the court to be questioned for the first time as part of the investigation.

The royal family has decided to sideline Urdangarin from all official royal activities, and last month he was removed from the family website.

The king is credited with guiding Spain to democracy following the death of dictator Francisco Franco in 1975 and is widely respected, but the affair has raised indignation as Spaniards suffer the effects of tough spending cuts and an unemployment rate of 26 percent.

A poll in early January by El Mundo newspaper showed that support for the monarchy as an institution overall fell to a record low of 54 percent.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Justice , People , royal , Spain




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  2. Gigi Reyes’ only option: tell all
  3. Unease in Vatican over cardinal’s luxury flat—report
  4. Santiago sees Palace hand in Gigi’s return
  5. Malaysia Airlines jet turns back after tire burst
  6. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  7. Aquino vows to intensify anti-corruption drive further
  8. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  9. Healing priest invites political leaders to join ‘prayer for nation’
  10. ‘Malang’ next crocodile attraction after ‘Lolong’
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Initial batch of Etihad passengers tested negative for MERS-CoV
  • Cagayan mayor shot during flag-raising ceremony
  • Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
  • Celebrating Easter and creativity in New York
  • Man wins half marathon, dies in Argentina
  • Sports

  • Reigning champs Miami open playoffs with win
  • Spurs subdue Mavericks in playoff opener
  • Wawrinka beats Federer to win Monte Carlo Masters
  • Ageless Hopkins pitches 50-50 Mayweather deal
  • Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Obama on mission to quiet Asia skeptics
  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement