Quantcast
Latest Stories

Students skip wearing uniforms amid scandal


Starting yesterday, college students were allowed to skip wearing their prescribed uniform in a Cebu City university in the aftermath of a sex video scandal involving one of its female students.

Officials were prompted to relax the regulation after receiving reports that some students were embarrassed by heckling, stares or rude remarks from passersby who were aware of the scandal and associated it with the Catholic school.

In the lobby of the university’s main campus, an LCD screen announced that “Wearing of school uniform both male and female is suspending starting Feb. 5, 2013 until further notice. Please be guided.”

The announcement was issued by the Student Affairs Office (SAO).

The female student, the possible victim of unauthorized video recording, has remained unnamed in news reports as well as the private school since no complaint has been filed.

The video, which went viral in the Internet sometime in January, raised a furor off and on campus because the coed was wearing the school’s uniform and ID during her sexual encounter with a young man.

Since then the private university has been struggling to deal with the effect of the scandal while protecting the privacy of the college student, who was described as a scholar and a dean’s lister. The young woman stopped showing up for class after January.

The school’s SAO chief, who requested anonymity, yesterday said he received reports that other students were made fun of in jeepneys, restaurants and other public places.

“That is why we decided to tell them that they are exempted from wearing their school uniform until this issue is forgotten,” the official said.

He said one student was mocked in a jeepney whose passengers clapped their hands when she boarded, dressed in the school uniform. Another female student punched those who insulted her.

The school official said a seminar will be held this Saturday during the students’ Civic Welfare Training Service (CWTS) class. “We need to lift their morale,” he said.

The SAO chief said the student’s conduct in the video, believed taken two years ago, was an “isolated” case and did not reflect the values of the university or its students.

Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama urged the public to stop the proliferation of the video. He said the two young adults involved were also victims of the situation who need help.

“Let’s not make fun of it. It could be your daughter, your child, or your relative. I am challenging all who have a copy of it, if you still have love for humanity, delete it. Give them their future,” he said.

Dr. Rene Bullecer, country president of Human Life International said the incident should motivate Catholic schools to strengthen their values and enforce policies.

He said parents help shape the moral values of their children and should monitor them even if they enter college and achieve a certain independence.

“This is when they should actually watch over them more–if they are already in a relationship, who their friends are. That is why we have technology so that we may easily monitor them,” he said.

The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in Central Visayas (CIDG-7) said it can investigate and arrest those responsible for uploading the sex video in the Web.

Senior Supt. Eddie Benigay also ordered his men to check CDs and VCDs being sold on the street to see if the students’ video is sold there.

But the police need someone to file a complaint and identify parties involved, he said. Correspondents Patricia Andrea Pateña and Chito Aragon


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: cebu sex scandal , school uniforms , sex scandals , Students




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • PNP chief on plunder raps: ‘Amateurish’
  • Makati readies 12-month traffic plan for Skyway 3
  • Heard on Radyo Inquirer 990AM
  • Did you know
  • HK apology: Why Estrada and not Aquino?
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces, force do-or-die tiff
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Honda upgrades PH plant
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement