Senator Revilla leaves 2016 presidential bid to “destiny”By Gabrielle L. Pangilinan
MANILA, Philippines — Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. on Tuesday remained coy with his 2016 presidential bid, after his appointment as the new chairman of Lakas-CMD.
The senator downplayed talks on his plans for the 2016 polls in a press conference at the Manila Golf Club in Makati City, maintaining that the race for presidency was still far away.
“2013 muna, malayo pa ang 2016,” he told reporters.
Last week, House minority leader Danilo Suarez said many of Lakas’ members were considering fielding Revilla for president in 2016.
The senator said he was leaving it to destiny whether he would agree to his partymates’ decision to field him in the presidential polls. “I do believe in destiny. Darating at darating yan”
“Kung magdedesisyon ako, ibig sabihin, handa na ako (if I do decide, it means, I am ready),” he said.
For now, Revilla said that Lakas would be focusing on the midterm elections in May.
Revilla was named chairman of the political party during the press conference, switching places with Leyte Representative Ferdinand Martin Romualdez who now leads the political party as its president.
They vowed to strengthen and revitalize Lakas as a leading political party in the country for the May elections.
Lakas is preparing to field 30 congressional candidates and 800 to 900 local candidates for the midterm polls.