2 workers killed in separate accidents in Hanjin shipyardBy Tetch Torres |INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines—Two workers have died as a result of two separate accidents that happened inside the shipyard of the Korean firm Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines in Subic Bay Freeport.
An incident report that had been submitted by Hanjin to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) identified the two fatalities as Jenny San Miguel Luna, 34, and Felix del Mundo Vidallos, 53.
The report said Luna died after he was hit by a forklift being driven by a worker from Sitikor Corporation, a subcontractor of Hanjin, on Thursday, Jan. 31.
The report said Luna sustained a crushing injury in his abdomen. It added that Hanjin officials were already coordinating with Luna’s family and have assured his family of the benefits due him.
Based on the statement by the forklift operator from Sitikor Corporation, he did not notice the victim because he was looking at the bus travelling on the other side of the road.
Vidallos, on the other hand, was killed in November last year after the truck he was driving hit a metal plate located on the trestle along the side of the road.
Hanjin officials claimed that benefits and other assistance have been provided to the relatives of Vidallos.
Hanjin also said that as a preventive measure, administrative control and policies on road and driving safety have been strengthened.
The company added that it would conduct education and training of all forklift operators.
Hanjin is a Korean conglomerate and one of the top exporters in Subic Freeport Zone earning over $372.74 million.
In 2008, the Senate conducted an inquiry on the death of several workers inside the 230-hectare facility.