21 killed in MNLF-Abu Sayyaf clash
More News from Jamie Marie Elona
More News from INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines—More than 20 people were killed and several others were wounded, following the clash that erupted between members of the Moro National Liberation Front and the Abu Sayyaf Group in Sulu Sunday, police said Monday.
Senior Superintendent Antonio Freyra, Sulu Police provincial director, said 13 people were said to have been killed from the ASG side, while eight were recorded from the MNLF side after the fire fight that ensued along Kabbun Takas in Sulu.
Three MNLF members were also wounded, he said.
The fight transpired after Rolando Letrero and Ramilito Vela—the TV crew of Jordanian reporter Baker Atyani—who were kidnapped last year, were released.
Letrero and Vela were retrieved from a hotel in Sulu around 10 p.m. Saturday.
The victims were taken to Zamboanga City, then to Metro Manila.
He said roughly 200 ASG members joined the fight, while 700 to 1,000 were from the MNLF.
“Nagkalapitan na siguro itong mga ‘to (They fought in close range),” Freyra said.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94