ATIMONAN MASSACRE

Regional cop chief OK’d checkpoint

A+
A
A-

Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) regional director of the Philippine National Police, Chief Supt. James Melad,speaks in a news conference at the National Bureau of Investigation Headquarters in Manila on Wednesday for the investigation of the Atimonan encounter, killing 13 people in an alleged shootout between government security forces and alleged criminals.INQUIRER / NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

MANILA, Philippines—Sacked Chief Supt. James Melad has admitted he approved the police blockade in Atimonan, Quezon province, where officers under his command and Army soldiers killed 13 alleged criminals on Jan. 6.

In a four-page affidavit submitted to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Melad, former commander of the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) police, said he approved the blockade on the request of Supt. Hansel Marantan, deputy chief of intelligence of the regional police.

“He said he received reliable information from a reliable source regarding several armed men,’’ Melad said, referring to Marantan.

Melad said Marantan told him about the information by phone at around 10 a.m. on Jan. 6.

He said it was Marantan who drew up “Coplan Armado,” a classified intelligence plan involving private armed groups, drug dealers, guns for hire, illegal gambling operators and other criminals.

“Believing that this is part of the intelligence buildup and validation of targets in Coplan Armado, I replied, ‘[It’s okay], coordinate with local PNP.’’’

Marantan shot

But at 4 p.m., he said, he was informed by the former Quezon provincial police chief, Senior Supt. Valeriano de Leon, that Marantan was wounded in an encounter with gunmen at a checkpoint along Maharlika Highway in Atimonan.

Melad said he immediately left for Quezon and while on the road he informed the PNP chief, Director General Alan Purisima, about the incident.

He said he arrived in Quezon at 8 p.m. and went to Marantan at Mt. Carmel Hospital in Lucena City before proceeding to Atimonan.

In the hospital, he said, Marantan told him there had been an “encounter.’’

Melad said that when he arrived at the site of the encounter, crime scene investigators had already started to investigate, contrary to the finding of a PNP fact-finding team that the investigation only started after he arrived.

He said that in his 35 years in the service he had no derogatory record, and stressed that he would never tolerate wrongdoing by his men.

 

Day in court

“Should anyone be found to have committed an offense, they should be accordingly punished. But they should also be given their day in court,’’ Melad said.

He also said he approved Coplan Armado, which ran in line with a larger police campaign against crime.

“I am personally convinced that [Coplan Armado] could be an accomplishment of the PNP in the region,’’ Melad said.

He said Marantan submitted Coplan Armado to the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission (PAOCC), which gave it an “initial funding.”

The PAOCC disapproved Coplan Armado, but gave Marantan P100,000 for intelligence operations.

MANILA, Philippines—Sacked Chief Supt. James Melad has admitted he approved the police blockade in Atimonan, Quezon province, where officers under his command and Army soldiers killed 13 alleged criminals on Jan. 6.

In a four-page affidavit submitted to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Melad, former commander of the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) police, said he approved the blockade on the request of Supt. Hansel Marantan, deputy chief of intelligence of the regional police.

“He said he received reliable information from a reliable source regarding several armed men,’’ Melad said, referring to Marantan.

Melad said Marantan told him about the information by phone at around 10 a.m. on Jan. 6.

He said it was Marantan who drew up “Coplan Armado,” a classified intelligence plan involving private armed groups, drug dealers, guns for hire, illegal gambling operators and other criminals.

“Believing that this is part of the intelligence buildup and validation of targets in Coplan Armado, I replied, ‘[It’s okay], coordinate with local PNP.’’’

Marantan shot

But at 4 p.m., he said, he was informed by the former Quezon provincial police chief, Senior Supt. Valeriano de Leon, that Marantan was wounded in an encounter with gunmen at a checkpoint along Maharlika Highway in Atimonan.

Melad said he immediately left for Quezon and while on the road he informed the PNP chief, Director General Alan Purisima, about the incident.

He said he arrived in Quezon at 8 p.m. and went to Marantan at Mt. Carmel Hospital in Lucena City before proceeding to Atimonan.

In the hospital, he said, Marantan told him there had been an “encounter.’’

Melad said that when he arrived at the site of the encounter, crime scene investigators had already started to investigate, contrary to the finding of a PNP fact-finding team that the investigation only started after he arrived.

He said that in his 35 years in the service he had no derogatory record, and stressed that he would never tolerate wrongdoing by his men.

 

Day in court

“Should anyone be found to have committed an offense, they should be accordingly punished. But they should also be given their day in court,’’ Melad said.

He also said he approved Coplan Armado, which ran in line with a larger police campaign against crime.

“I am personally convinced that [Coplan Armado] could be an accomplishment of the PNP in the region,’’ Melad said.

He said Marantan submitted Coplan Armado to the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission (PAOCC), which gave it an “initial funding.”

The PAOCC disapproved Coplan Armado, but gave Marantan P100,000 for intelligence operations.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

  • kalikasanipagtanggol

    Parang nuong una na na-interview ay nag deny siya na may alam siya sa operasyon na ginawa ng bata niya na si maratrat! pero ngayon nagkakapigaan na ng yagbols ay iba na ang bersyon……

    • speaksoftlylove

      Tumpak. Sa mga nauna niyang interview sinabi pa ni Melad na, “Nagulat siya at bakit nakarating si Maratrat sa Quezon.” In his own words he said, “As far as I can recall, this is the first time that Maratrat went as far as Quezon.” Tapos ito at nangumpisal ang baliw na aprubado pala niya yong checkpoint. Kundi sinungaling yan anong tawag dyan?

      • diamond_digger

         Kulang pa yan, Spitfire. Sinungaling, ugok na hepe, coddler ng mga criminal, atbp.

  • Rovingmoron

    This is an example of command responsibility. Why give a go signal when you have not been briefed as to the exact details of the Coplan Armado. Melad should have checked first with Marantan as to who these armed men were? It was alright if there were no collateral damage in the shootout. Did Marantan tell Melad that some PNP and military personnel would be in the convoy, too? Surely, Marantan didn’t tell Melad the truth. If Marantan did, Melad wouldn’t buy it. In short, Melad was taken for a short bumpy ride by Marantan. I think that’s the scenario.

  • don alto

    ANG HIRAP TALAGA KASING MAGSINUNGALING … SA TOTOO LANG !!

    To borrow a familiar phrase from FG’s Lawyer: … ” NAGLULUBID LANG SILA NG KASINUNGALINGAN … “

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_H5PWODYHVDU33IWTLK3ILLOMFE Dindo

    Sana tutukan ng media ang invistigacio’ng ‘to, Walang nbuhay..pinatay talaga lahat, impocible!!

  • speedstream2

    Let’s not lose sight of what really needs to be looked into: 13 persons were killed under highly questionable circumstances. The public awaits the truth.

  • koolkid_inthehouse

    Anybody heard at the checkpoint ‘ You are all under arrest, anything you’ll say might be used against you in the court of law’?   Was the only word uttered is ‘Fire’?

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WN5TKEXEJ2VHQVNGP2CJEDLJH4 Jess

    imposible and sinasabi ni Melad. Dahil kung totoo na alam nilang may mga armas bakit lantad sila at kumatok pa sa bintana. di sana pinaputiukan na sila at malamang may buhay sa kabila. Kaya mas kapani-paniwala na alam nilang walang mabibigat na armas ang grupo ni Siman at hoholdapin lang nila kaya pinabababa, pero ng di bumaba ay niratrat na nila. Nang bumaba ang 2 civlian sa isa pang SUV at taas na ang kamay ay pinatay na din nila para walang testigo. Pagkatapos ay tinaniman nila ng mga baril ang mga napatay nila. Yan ang mas pwedeng paniwalaan. Dapat may magsalita na sa mga sundalo para sila man lang ay makaligtas sa tyak na habang buhay na kulong.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_UWISP2YXGDQ7K2SIX2GI37B2EI Darwin

    ULUL exposed ka ngayon. Sinabi mo sa presscon mo paulit ulit na duly authorized ang Coplan Armado. Sinungaling! Ngayon na kailangan mo magaffidavit, sinasabi mo you approved it based on a phone call from Maratnan. Good as saying you approved it with eyes closed. Dapat lang na sibakin ka at isama sa kaso.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/M3LQ4MUAU3Z36MIQGIGSOKBCQE Rosauro

    My salute to Chief Supt. Melad! Bibihira ang tao na katulad niya. Hindi niya nilaglag si Marantan! Kung iba yan sasabihin niyang ‘bahala ka sa buhay mo’.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_VY25ZOHU3FJFFX6CYSH5W4AX3I sugbu

    “Day in Court” you SOB..did Mararat give those 13 victims a daylight???

    • http://twitter.com/JoelDurgi1 Joel Marantan

      Nope, they gave him a .45 bullet. He never got to fire his gun. If you are my ground commander at binaril ka, guess what … I’ll wait for the 2nd burst so he can finish you off!

    • diamond_digger

       Yes, Marantan should be given a day in cour – a concrete basketball court where he should be hang on a sunny day where children or grandchildren of those he killed should be encouraged to make him their target of their slingshots. The law of Moses should be applied to this criminal: An eye for an eye. Again, the court that he deserves is a concrete basketball court and definitely not a court of law.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_JMIY3BAK6WSUU4QYNGGDD5D4BU berong

    3 of his fingers are pointed to marantan.nagkakalaglagan na…

  • http://twitter.com/JoelDurgi1 Joel Marantan

    When everyone else had played politics and covered their butts Melad put his on the line with his recent pronouncements. Di naman kailangan ilaglag or idepensa mga pulis at military, sabihin lang ang totoo po. Way to go Chief! 

  • Jerry_SeinfeId

    For all we know, Marantan shot himself to get sympathy from the public. There was no shootout just plain execution from Marantan. He needs his day in court after getting released from St.Luke’s Global (wow, rich!) on a wheelchair just like Gloria Arroyo, Manuling Morato, Renato Corona. Just imagine the savvy payoff from the other Jueteng Lord… whew, huge!!!

    • Janch

      If they didn’t hide or replace the guns and rifles used at the checkpoint baka lumabas na tinamaan siya ng mga bala ng mga sundalo at pulis dun.  Siya kasi ang malapit sa SUV kaya nahagip ng mga bala.

    • diamond_digger

       Based on various reports on Marantan, he is undoubtedly the number one officer who have engaged  in the most number of controversial shootout with where not one victim survived to tell the other side of the stories. If indeed this Marantan is really that determined to do his police job, his skills could be put to better use if he is assigned to Mindanao to go after the Abu Sayyaf. There, once and for all, he could prove if indeed he is real good cop or a mere assassin in uniform.

      With regards to Supt. Melad. His incompetence is now exposed, effectively dampening his chances of becoming the PNP Chief. Good for him, for I can just imagine what it would be like to have a chief who coddles abusive criminals like Marantan.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_UWISP2YXGDQ7K2SIX2GI37B2EI Darwin

    Melad, the liar. Nakakasuka. May pa presscon presscon ka pa last week. Pweh.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_UWISP2YXGDQ7K2SIX2GI37B2EI Darwin

    Bat walang news about Maratnan’s real injury. I hope inquirer publish a report from St. Lukes. Baka galos lang yan dahil nasubsob sya sa semento.

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94