SC grants motion to cancel oral argument on cybercrime law
More News from INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines–The Supreme Court postponed the oral argument on the petition against the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 to next week upon the request of the government lawyer.
Solicitor General Francis Jardeleza, the lead government counsel, told the high court that he was requested by President Benigno Aquino III to seek the postponement.
Acting spokesperson lawyer Gleo Guerra said the oral argument is rescheduled next Tuesday, January 29.
The postponement surprised the petitioners among them lawyer JJ Disini.
“… I only found out as I was walking in, everyone was going out [of the hall],” Disini told reporters.
He said he was a bit dismayed by the delay.
“They were, in effect, given more time to prepare their arguments. Our only hope is that by next week, there is already a resolution on our motion to extend the restraining order,” Disini said.
The restraining order against the implementation of the Cybercrime Prevention Act will lapse on February 5. The petitioners sought an extension of the TRO. Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno said last week that it will be discussed in future court sessions.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94