Cops moonlighting as escorts warned

SHARES:

02:05 AM January 21st, 2013

Recommended
By: Marlon Ramos, January 21st, 2013 02:05 AM

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has ordered the stricter implementation of its policy prohibiting policemen on active duty from moonlighting as security escorts for private individuals in the wake of the Atimonan, Quezon, shooting incident.

Three policemen, including a senior PNP officer, were among the 13 people killed in the Jan. 6 incident.

PNP Director General Alan Purisima also warned policemen they could face administrative charges for engaging in business, particularly private security agencies.

“The antigraft and corrupt practices law prohibits (government employees) from owning companies and receiving double compensation. Our policemen who violate this provision would face appropriate charges,” Purisima said in an interview over radio dzMM.

“Some of our policemen who violated this had been charged previously. They were meted out the appropriate penalties,” he said.

He noted media reports that Supt. Alfredo Consemino and two police aides were traveling with alleged “jueteng” operator Victor  Siman at the time of the shooting incident in Atimonan because the police officer was Siman’s business partner in a security agency.

Purisima noted reports that Consemino, his aides and the two soldiers killed in the incident were providing security to Siman.

“In that incident, we see that the policemen had their own interests, that’s why some of them were on the opposite side,” he said.

“Worse, Consemino and company were with some individuals suspected of involvement in illegal activities,” he said.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.