Quantcast
pork barrel

Gwen Garcia leaves Cebu Capitol to take part in Sinulog parade



Gwen Garcia. JUNJIE MENDOZA/CDN

MANILA, Philippines – Suspended Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia on Sunday left the Cebu Capitol to participate in the parade at the Sinulog Festival despite rumors she might be barred from returning to her office.

But acting Cebu Gov. Agnes Magpale told a television cable Sunday that there was no plan to block Garcia on her way back to the Capitol after the festivities.

“I will watch her dance from my TV set,” Magpale added.

Reports said Garcia stayed inside an airconditioned tent behind the grandstand to wait for her turn to dance at the Sinulog Grand Parade.

Garcia was accompanied by brother Byron, son Paolo, daughter Cristina and son-in-law Duke.

“I am ready to face danger…this is my supreme offering. My devotion and commitment to Sto. Niño is my t priority,” Garcia told reporters.

The suspended governor’s father, Representative Pablo Garcia, preferred to stay at the Capitol.

Earlier, Ricky Ballesteros, executive director of the Sinulog Foundation Inc., appealed for good manners and courtesy if Garcia actually shows up.

“I’d like to appeal to the public to show the respect due her (Garcia) as the governor and as a woman,” he told Cebu Daily News amid fears that she may be heckled or booed by partisans in the crowd who disapprove of Garcia’s defiance of the order of the Office of the President suspending her for six months in an administrative case for grave abuse of authority.

Ballesteros said he was notified by Garcia’s camp Saturday that she would be dancing with the Rosquillos Festival contingent of Liloan town, which won the Pasigarbo festival competition of the province last year.

“Her choreographers came to my office this morning,” he said, and an advance party has been checking the main stage and other conditions of the Cebu City Sports Center where over 40 contingents will enter for their main performances until 7 p.m.

Ballesteros said Garcia would be dancing with the municipal contingent, and not as head of the Cebu province contingent.


Follow Us




Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: 2013 elections , Cebu standoff , Gwendolyn Garcia , News , Regions , Sinulog 2013




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement