New arrest warrants issued vs Rasumans, et al.By Jerome Aning
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines–A Cagayan de Oro City court on Friday issued warrants of arrest for the wife, father and other relatives of alleged investment scam leader Jachob “Coco” Rasuman following the filing of two new syndicated estafa complaints by the Department of Justice with the court.
The warrants, copies of which were forwarded to the DOJ in Manila by Cagayan de Oro Regional Trial Court Branch 23 presided over by Judge Vincent Rosales, pertained to separate complaints filed by two businessmen who claimed they lost almost P20 million to Rasuman’s investment scam.
Rasuman surrendered to the authorities in November last year and has been in the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation.
The first arrest warrant covers Rasuman’s wife Princess Tomawis Rasuman, brother Basher Rasuman Jr., father Basher Rasuman Sr., mother Ema Rasuman and father-in-law Sultan Yahya Jerry Tomawis.
The second covers the same suspects except for Ema Rasuman but includes Rasuman’s two brothers, Maning Rasuman, vice mayor of Tamparan town in Lanao del Sur, and Jerome Rasuman.
The complainant in the first case, Achmad Sangaan of Cagayan de Oro, said he lost P5.13 million in the scam. He said he was promised a return of 50 to 100 percent in two months on his investment.
Sangcaan said he was first persuaded by the accused to invest P300,000 in one of Rasuman’s companies in 2011. He later invested more money in another company but this time did not receive any returns.
The second complainant, Naim Sampao of Marawi City, said he lost P14.3 million to the Rasuman group. He is also demanding damages, including interest, of P26.51 million.
The new cases were in addition to those filed by the DOJ on behalf of 25 complainants who said they were duped of up to P120 million by Rasuman and nine of his relatives. The cases were also filed in the CDO RTC.