Quantcast
Latest Stories

Sacked Calabarzon police chief says Atimonan killings surprised him

By

A case operation plan (coplan) involves only intelligence activity to build up a case against a target. There is nothing criminal about a coplan, according to Chief Supt. James Melad, the sacked chief of the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) police.

Setting up checkpoints is not part of a coplan. That is a job for law enforcement, Melad told the Inquirer on Thursday.

But he said he was surprised when he learned that a checkpoint had been set up in Barangay Lumutan in Atimonan, Quezon province, as part of the execution of “Coplan Armado,” the plan to dismantle the operations of Victor “Vic” Siman, alleged financier of the numbers racket “jueteng” in the Southern Tagalog region.

Melad said, however, that as a superior officer, he presumed the checkpoint was regular, as Supt. Hansel Marantan, leader of the police team that carried out Coplan Armado, was able to prove to him that the occupants of two sports utility vehicles headed for the checkpoint were armed.

But the identities of the vehicles’ occupants became known only after the supposed shootout between the group and the combined police and military forces at the checkpoint, Melad said.

Siman was killed in the supposed shootout, but so were 12 others who turned out to be “collateral damage” in the execution of Coplan Armado.

Police report

Quezon police reported that Siman’s group fired on the security forces at the checkpoint, hitting Marantan in the hands and foot. That prompted the security forces to fire back, killing the 13 men in the two SUVs. The report mentioned a third vehicle whose occupants also fired on the security forces then fled.

Relatives of the slain men refused to believe the police report and claimed that Siman and his group were summarily executed.

Inconsistencies in the police report prompted President Aquino to order the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate and find out what really happened.

Knew nothing

Melad said his role in Coplan Armado was “ministerial” and that he knew nothing about the the police operation in Atimonan until he received a call from the Quezon police and was informed that officers from the intelligence unit under his command were involved in a shootout in Atimonan.

“I knew nothing about it. I was surprised when the Quezon provincial police director called me up and told me that Marantan’s unit figured in a shootout with an armed group in Atimonan,” Melad said in Filipino. “I said that was quite far. How did they get there? What was Marantan doing there?”

Melad said he was at the Philippine National Police (PNP) headquarters in Camp Crame in Quezon City on that day, participating in the Game of the Generals, a traditional shooting competition among military generals and high-ranking police officers. The PNP chief, Director General Alan Purisima, was there and so was President Aquino, who outscored more than 100 military and police officers and won the competition.

Melad said he was not sure what time Quezon Provincial Police Director Valeriano de Leon called him, but it must have been 3:30 p.m. or 3:45 p.m. but could not have been after 4 p.m.

De Leon was sacked on Jan. 9 and Melad on Tuesday but not over Coplan Armado but over the killing of Fernando “Pandoy” Morales, an alleged hit man with links to Siman, in another shootout with police in San Juan town in Batangas province on Monday.

Melad said the initial information he got was about the supposed shootout and that Marantan was wounded and taken to hospital in Lucena City.

The information from De Leon, Melad said, was that 11 people were killed, two severely wounded and taken to hospital but died along the way.

Ten firearms were recovered from the two vehicles used by Siman’s group. But after the arrival of crime scene investigators, Melad said, the report was revised and the number of recovered firearms rose to 13.

Melad said he left the shooting competition without saying goodbye to Purisima and told De Leon that he was on his way to Quezon to inspect the scene of the supposed shootout.

Talk with Marantan

“I was really surprised. Why Quezon? Marantan never went that far on intelligence and surveillance work,” Melad said in Filipino.

“But instinctively, of course, I had to talk to the team leader, Marantan. He was in a Lucena hospital when I talked to him that night,” he said.

Melad said the Atimonan operation was “legitimate.” Every commander, he said, presumes regularity when an incident is reported to him, he said. When De Leon called him to inform him about the supposed shootout in Atimonan he took it as just that.

In their conversation in the Lucena hospital, Melad said Marantan told him that he had received !A-1 information” that a group of guns for hire was on the road and that he immediately acted on it.

 

Coplan ‘legitimate’

“It was a judgment call on his part as an intelligence officer and I took his word for it,” Melad said. “I was concerned about his condition because [he] was wounded,” he added.

Melad said Marantan never cleared the checkpoint with him, but maintained the coplan that Marantan had submitted to him was “legitimate.”

Coplan Armado was signed by Melad, Marantan, and Supt. Glenn Dumlao, commander of the Regional Public Safety Battalion of the Calabarzon police.

The plan was submitted to the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission (PAOCC) for approval and funding, but was disapproved because it was a potentially bloody business, according to an Inquirer source.

Melad said Marantan submitted Coplan Armado to him and he signed it because the subject of the operation, groups used as guns for hire, could be used as private armies during elections.

The PAOCC, headed by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, had expressed the same concern, Melad said, explaining why he approved the coplan.

He said Marantan submitted the coplan to him in October last year. PAOCC officials said they received the coplan a month later.

 

Dedication to duty

Melad praised Marantan’s dedication to duty. “I know nothing about the information about him that’s surfacing only now,” he said, referring to information, much of it from the police, that Marantan was the protector of an illegal gambling group fighting Siman for turf in the Southern Tagalog region.

“What I know about him is what I have seen in him, a dedicated officer,” Melad said in Filipino.

But if Marantan did not clear the checkpoint with Melad, who approved it?

Melad said that if Marantan cleared the checkpoint with a superior officer, he was not that officer.

He added that having seen Marantan’s dedication to duty, it never occurred to him that Marantan could have had ulterior motives in carrying out the Atimonan operation.

Whether Marantan personally knew any of the victims, especially Siman, Melad said he had no idea. That’s up to Marantan to explain, he said.

His viewpoint

Melad said he was not saying all this to save himself but to give the facts from his point of view as a regional commander who learned about the supposed shootout in Quezon only after it had already happened.

But does he think Marantan kept him in the dark and used Coplan Armado as cover for an illegitimate operation?

“I will not add to the speculations,” Melad replied. “Let us all trust that even with seemingly conclusive statements at this point, the NBI will come up with a comprehensive and credible investigation.”


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Atimonan 13 , Atimonan killings , Calabarzon , case operation plan , Coplan Armando , Jueteng , Vic Siman , Victor Siman




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  2. Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  3. Palace prepared to charge its allies
  4. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  5. Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  6. What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  7. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  8. Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  9. HK apology: Why Estrada and not Aquino?
  10. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • Scientists eye iceberg bigger than Guam
  • Drilon: I’m not on Napoles’ list
  • Sonar finds 1888 San Francisco shipwreck
  • Santiago: Enrile, Lacson, Reyes plotting massive psywar operation
  • Poe, Cayetano to colleagues: Shun formalities, let’s hear Napoles’ tell-all ASAP
  • Sports

  • Promoters Dela Hoya, Arum in talks for Pacquiao-Alvarez—report
  • Benzema guides Madrid to 1-0 win over Bayern
  • Suns’ Goran Dragic win NBA’s Most Improved Player award
  • Heat go up 2-0, hold off Bobcats 101-97
  • Ronaldo shakes off injury fears to play Bayern
  • Lifestyle

  • This woman ate what?
  • Photos explore dynamics of youths’ sexual identity
  • 12th Philippine Food Expo set at the World Trade Center
  • No tourist draw, Malang the croc will remain wild
  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Entertainment

  • What Garcia Marquez left behind
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • Sony developing live-action Barbie comedy
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Business

  • How ‘one percent’ economic elite was uncovered
  • Facebook profits triple as mobile soars
  • Insular Honors Sales Performers at Testimonial Rites
  • Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
  • Cost-recovery provisions for affected gencos urged
  • Technology

  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • Embassy advisory: Filipinos still need visas to enter US
  • No travel restriction to Mideast, DFA clarifies
  • PH-HK relations repaired, but families of victims still being courted
  • Filipinos in Middle East urged to get clearance before returning
  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement