Quantcast
Latest Stories

Abra politicians surrender 179 guns to PNP

By

ABRA GUNS Chief Supt. Benjamin Magalong, Cordillera police director, displays the weapons surrendered by politicians in Abra, one of the “areas of concern” declared by the Commission on Elections for their history of election violence. The guns will be muzzled and kept at Camp Juan Villamor in the provincial capital of Bangued as the Comelec imposes a gun ban during the midterm elections. RICHARD BALONGLONG/INQUIRER NORTHERN LUZON

BANGUED, Abra—On the eve of the election gun ban, politicians and their families in Abra surrendered 179 licensed firearms to the Philippine National Police for safekeeping and muzzling.

Chief Supt. Benjamin Magalong, Cordillera police director, on Saturday received an assortment of high-powered firearms, handguns and rifles at a ceremony at Camp Juan Villamor, the headquarters of the Abra police.

Gov. Eustaquio Bersamin, the mayors or their representatives from Abra’s 27 towns and village leaders trooped to the police camp at 8:30 a.m. to hand over their guns.

The PNP later in the afternoon knocked on the houses of politicians and residents, looking for concealed weapons.

Magalong said police records showed that 228 firearms had been registered in the province, notorious for a rise in political killings during elections.

Bersamin said relinquishing weapons to the police gave rival families peace of mind, confident they would be safe during the campaign if only authorities roam the province with weapons.

Most of the weapons, which police sealed with masking tape and an identification sticker signed by Abra police officials, were returned to their owners because the licensed owners have the right to use them if they needed to protect themselves, Magalong said.

Police said 45 firearms were taken for safekeeping, while 134 guns were muzzled and returned to local officials who owned them.

Among the guns muzzled were owned by top government officials, like Mayors Ryan Luna (Bangued), Robert Victor “JR” Seares Jr. (Dolores), Benido Bacuyag (Malibcong) and Placido Eduarte Jr. (Tayum) and Governor Bersamin, said Senior Supt. Roberto Soriano, Abra police director.

The police will continue visiting other towns to seal the barrels of licensed guns in the next few days, Magalong said.

“This is a good gesture from our leaders who turned over their firearms for safekeeping. They showed their trust to the police, and they are confident now that they will be protected by the police,” he said. “There is now a level of maturity here.”

Luna, who turned over 17 firearms for safekeeping and muzzling, said he acquired these weapons after he survived an ambush in April 2012. “I turned over my guns because I want to support the government’s call for peaceful elections,” he said.

Luna and Bersamin were the first to turn over their guns, Magalong said.

Bersamin surrendered six guns for muzzling. The governor said the weapons were meant to protect him following the 2006 assassination of his brother, Abra Rep. Luis Bersamin, who was killed at a wedding outside a Quezon City church.

“This peacekeeping effort will help a lot in stopping violence in Abra … I respect the police and my trust in them has been revived. In the past, local policemen were used by politicians … but the Philippine National Police is now serious in curbing violence in Abra,” Bersamin said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: 2013 midterm elections , Abra , Comelec , Government , Gun ban , PNP , Politics , Security




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  2. Chinese lawyers say they were tortured by police
  3. Hair salon’s Kim Jong Un poster riles embassy
  4. Siquijor ‘healer’: For every cure, there’s a plant
  5. State seeks guilty verdict for Abalos
  6. Why college grads end up in the PNP
  7. Estrada: I will pray for my detractors
  8. Miraculous image makes Gapan City top site for pilgrimage in Central Luzon
  9. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  10. Five men from Cavite found dead in jeep in Batangas
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • After quake, makeshift churches welcome pilgrims in Bohol
  • UN warns banana fungus spreading from Southeast Asia
  • Massive infra spending set
  • ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  • Cardinal Tagle to faithful: Join politics to clean it
  • Sports

  • Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  • Manny Pacquiao in PBA? If so, he’ll wear No. 17
  • PSC sets Blu Girls US training
  • Power Pinoys settle for 7th place
  • Successful coaches to get raise
  • Lifestyle

  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • The truffled mac ‘n’ cheese, eggs benedict, chicken leg confit are excellent
  • Entertainment

  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Derek more private with new girlfriend
  • ‘Community’ star happy with return of show’s creator
  • Jealousy is kid stuff
  • Mommy-daughter adventure continues
  • Business

  • PH presses bid to keep rice import controls
  • PSEi continues to gain
  • Number of retrenched workers rose by 42% in ’13
  • PH seen to sustain rise in FDIs
  • Gov’t subsidies to state firms fell in first 2 months
  • Technology

  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Another reason to quit social media this Holy Week: your safety
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • First Fil-Am elected to Sierra Madre, Calif. city council
  • UC Irvine cultural night to dramatize clash of values in immigrant family
  • Filipino sweets and info served at UC Berkeley Spring Fest
  • Milpitas, California kids wrap up a successful run of ‘The Wiz’
  • Netizens welcome Japan’s visa-free travel plan
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement