Quantcast
pork barrel

Court martial finds soldier in Al Barka bloodbath guilty

By |


MANILA, Philippines – One of the officers tagged in the Al Barka bloodbath in October 2011 which led to the death of 19 of Army’s Special Forces soldiers was found guilty by the general court martial.

Colonel Jose Feliciano Loy Jr., a law member of the court martial, said that then Special Forces Regiment Airborne Commander Colonel Almikandra Undug was convicted “guilty beyond reasonable doubt” during a deliberation on January 8.

Undug, as a regiment commander, committed “imprudence without inappropriate clearance from higher headquarters and violation of chain of command by allowing the Military Scuba Diving Course students in actual operations on October 18,  2011 in Al- Barka, Basilan,” Loy told INQUIRER.net in a phone interview.

Undug was earlier cleared of other charges against him, including three specifications from Articles of War 96 (Conduct Unbecoming of an Officer and a Gentleman) and two specifications from AW 97 (Disorders and Neglects to the Prejudice of Good Order and Military Discipline).

As a result of a closed-door session and secret balloting with all the seven members of the court present, Undug will face admonition, reduced in ranking of 50 files below from his present seniority  listing, and suspension from command and duty for six months effective January 8, Loy said.

Meanwhile, the commander of the 4th Special Forces Battalion, Lieutenant Colonel Leonard Pena, is still presenting his pieces of evidence and will be on a hearing on January 26.

In October last year, the military tribunal has already cleared two officers –former Commandant of Special Forces School Lieutenant Colonel Orlando Edralin and former Commander of Special Operations Task Force Basilan Colonel Alexander Macario– for “insufficiency of evidence” for their involvement over the bungled military operations.

The series of hearings started May last year.

Nineteen elite soldiers were killed after they clashed with Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) members in Al Barka town, Basilan on Oct. 18, 2011.

The soldiers were on their way to arrest Abu Sayyaf leaders Furuji Indama and Long Malat and MILF subcommander Dan Laksaw Asnawi, when they were ambushed by the rebels and turned into a day-long fight.


Follow Us




Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Al Barka bloodbath , Crime , Nation , News




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement