Traffic in Manila rerouted as Nazarene procession inches through crowd
Emma Loristo of MMDA-Metrobase said traffic build-up was currently being experienced along Espana turning right to P. Campa, Nicanor Reyes, Pedro Gil (east and west), as well as along Jose Abad Santos, particularly along Reina Regente.
There is also a build-up of traffic along President Osmena, President Aquino, with heavier traffic along its westbound lane.
Asked when the normal flow of traffic was expected to resume, Loristo said the affected roads would only be opened after a clearance from the Manila Traffic bureau and event organizers.
As of posting time, the procession is on P. Burgos Street.
The procession is expected to take the following route:
From Quirino Grandstand (Luneta), right Katigbak Drive thru P. Burgos; left Taft Avenue (P.Burgos) thru McArthur Bridge; right Palanca, thru under Quezon Bridge; left Quezon Boulevard; right Fraternal; right Vergara; left Duque de Alba; left Castillejos; left farnecio; right Arlegui; left Nepomuceno; left Aguila; right Carcer; right Hidalgo thru Plaza Del Carmen; left Bilibid Viejo thru Puyat; left Guzman; right Hidalgo; left Barbosa; right Globo de Oro thru under Quezon Bridge; right Palanca; right Villalobos thru Plaza Miranda to Quiapo Church.
Traffic will be rerouted as follows:
1. All vehicles coming from Quezon City using the stretch of España shall turn right P.Campa,left Andalucia,right Fugoso,left T.Mapua to point of destination.
2. All PUJs/light vehicles coming from España intending to proceed to South Pier Zone turn left Nicanor Reyes,right Recto straight to JAS, left Reina Regente take Jones Bridge,right Magallanes Drive to point of destination.
3. All vehicles coming from northern part of Manila intending to utilize the stretch of Bonifacio Drive southbound shall turn right Roberto S. Oca St.,left Delgado,left 25th St.,left Bonifacio Drive (for Port Area offices) or shall take right to A. Soriano to magallanes Drive,right P.Burgos,go straight to Lagusnilad to Taft Ave.
4. All vehicles coming from southern part of Manila intending to utilize the stretch of P.Burgos shall take TM Kalaw,left Taft Ave.,right A Villegas,right Quezon Bridge to point of destination (NOTE: northbound of Quezon Blvd. is open to traffic).
6. All PUJs plying Monumento-Gasak-Recto intending to utilize Andalucia thru Recto shall turn right Oroqueta to point of origin.
7. All vehicles coming fromLegarda shall turn right Recto or left Mendiola to point of destination.
8. All vehicles using Taft Ave. northbound shall turn right A. Villegas (Arroceros) right Quezon Bridge to point of destination.
9. All heavy vehicles/Cargo Trucks coming from the south shall take Pres. Osmeña, Pres. Quirino to Nagtahan via AH Lacson to Capulong (vise versa).
10. All motorists intending to proceed to North of Manila or South of Manila shall advise to utilize the stretch of AH Lacson to Nagtahan (vice-versa) or to utilize stretch of Road-10 to Roxas Blvd. (vise versa) to point of destination.
11. All buses coming from eastern part of Manila particularly G-Liner/RRCG utilizing Legarda shall turn right Palanca to Quiapo Ilalim to point of destination.
12. All buses coming from Taft. going to Fairview shall right UN Ave. up to Otis left Nagtahan go straight AH Lacson,right España to point of origin.
13. All buses coming southern part of Manila laguna and Cavite utilizing taft Ave. are not allowed to enter from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and allowed only up to Remedios St. right San Marcelino back to point of Origin. With reports from Karen Boncocan
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.