GENERAL SANTOS CITY—Relentless rains for the past few days led to flooding in 15 villages here and in Sarangani and South Cotabato provinces.
In other parts of Central Mindanao, authorities are on alert for floods and landslides.
Jose Mariano Gonzalez, General Santos City administrator, convened the city disaster risk reduction management council on Tuesday to map out plans to deal with flooding in the villages of Lagao, Bula and Baluan here, where flooding has reached waist-deep.
In Glan, Sarangani, flood also submerged the villages of Poblacion, Big Margus, Ilaya, Santa Cruz and Pangyan, according to Chief Insp. Jaime Tabucon, the town police chief.
In Norala, South Cotabato, at least 79 hectares of rice fields were destroyed when floods also hit seven villages there.
In North Cotabato, Kidapawan City Mayor Rodolfo Gantuangco said residents of at least four villages known to be landslide-prone have been alerted as the rains continued.
Gantuangco said residents living near rivers and creeks had been told to constantly monitor water levels.
In Magpet, North Cotabato, authorities are also on alert for floods and landslides as the rains continued on Tuesday.
Magpet Mayor Efren Pinol said at least 17 villages in his town were declared landslide-prone.
He said landslides have stricken the villages in the past. Aquiles Zonio and Williamor Magbanua, Inquirer Mindanao