Firecracker-related injuries rise to 862By Philip C. Tubeza
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines–The number of persons injured by firecrackers during the holidays has risen to 862, the Department of Health said Saturday.
Health Assistant Secretary Enrique Tayag said this was the total number reported since December 21.
“There were 835 fireworks related injuries, 25 stray bullet cases, and two persons who ingested firecrackers (as of 6 a.m. Saturday),” Tayag said.
“The total of fireworks-related injuries decreased by 16 percent compared to last year and is eight percent lower compared to the average in the last five years,” he added.
Tayag said majority of the injuries were reported in the National Capital Region (479 cases or 57 percent), the Ilocos Region (68 cases or eight percent), and Western Visayas (63 cases or eight percent).
He said 660 victims (79 percent) were men with ages ranging from nine months to 79 years old.
“Twenty-eight percent or 234 cases involved children less than 10 years old and the most affected are those six to 10 years old (229 cases or 27 percent),” Tayag said.
He said 705 victims (84 percent of the total) suffered burns but required no amputation, 116 or 14 percent had eye injuries while 29 victims required amputation.
Tayag added that 406 cases (49 percent) were due to illegal fireworks, including 226 cases due to the firecracker named piccolo. About 609 (73 percent) were injured on the streets while 220 (26 percent) inside their homes.