Extended truck ban mulled as MMDA cites ‘success’
More News from Philippine Daily Inquirer
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Thursday raised the possibility of extending the truck ban that the agency started implementing last month, citing its “success” in easing traffic during the holidays.
MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino said he had started consultations with the Metro Manila Council (MMC) regarding the extension.
“As per our initial assessment, the first three-week implementation of this modified truck ban has been a success, especially in reducing traffic congestion in our road networks,” Tolentino said in a statement.
The holiday truck ban took effect on Dec. 7 last year and is supposed to last till Jan. 6.
It bars trucks with a gross weight of 4,500 kilograms or more on Metro Manila roads from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. daily, except on public holidays and Sundays.
The regular truck ban, meanwhile, is enforced only from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays.
Tolentino reminded motorists that the total truck ban on Edsa remains in effect, but that trucks carrying perishable goods are exempted from the modified truck ban.—Jaymee T. Gamil
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94