Military extends holiday truce
More News from Frances Mangosing
MANILA, Philippines—The Armed Forces of the Philippines announced Wednesday it is extending its holiday truce with the communist rebels until January 15.
This came as the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) said it was ending the holiday ceasefire after the government failed to honor an agreement reached during a meeting in the Netherlands last month to stop armed hostilities from December 2 to January 15.
The AFP announced in December it was suspending military operations against the communist rebels from December 16 to 11:59 p.m. of January 2.
“The objective of the implementation of the extended [truce] is to further demonstrate the AFP’s commitment, sincerity and resolve for peace in spite of conflicts with the insurgent group,” military spokesman Colonel Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr. said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon.
“While the AFP fully abides with the extended [ceasefire], it will maintain activities supporting the government and civil authorities’ peace, development and humanitarian assistance programs. We will also continue our proactive defense countermeasures to ensure our people’s safety and security during the conduct of the extended ceasefire,” Burgos said.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94