Quantcast
Latest Stories

Ranjilo dead; Nicole fights for life

By ,

Hooked to a respirator and fighting for her life at the intensive care unit (ICU) of a Quezon City hospital, 7-year-old Stephanie Nicole Ella is a far cry from the lively “Gangnam”-dancing girl who welcomed the new year with her family.

Stephanie Nicole was sitting outside her Caloocan City home, watching the fireworks display with her brother, cousins and older family members, when a stray bullet hit her in the head just 15 minutes into the new year.

Mercedita Ella, the girl’s aunt, said the family had not even bought any firecrackers, confining its noisemaking to blowing on toy trumpets.

“We were all just watching and enjoying the fireworks. She just fell to the ground, blood coming from the top of her head,” Mercedita said.

“Why did it have to hit her and not one of us (adults)?” she said.

Four-year-old Ranjilo Nemer of Mandaluyong City left his house in Welfareville, Mandaluyong, at 9 p.m. on Monday to use the bathroom in a cousin’s house. He never made it home before midnight.

Shot 4 times

Before the old year was out, Ranjilo was dead from four gunshot wounds to his head and body.

“He was only supposed to go to the bathroom, but now he’s gone,” said Gemma Bañadera, Ranjilo’s mother.

Ryan Nemer, Ranjilo’s father, said he gave the boy permission to go out but warned him not to linger on the streets as it was dangerous.

A few minutes later, someone came running to their house, screaming that Ranjilo had been hit, he said.

Ryan said he didn’t think it was serious at first, thinking the boy had only been injured in a firecracker blast.

To his horror, doctors at Mandaluyong City Medical Center pronounced the boy dead a few minutes after being brought there.

A witness, Ramon Elbambuena, said that just before Ranjilo was hit, he saw a man walking on the street with a sumpak (homemade gun) in his hand.

“The man tapped his gun, I heard a boom, and then I saw the child rolling on the pavement,” Elbambuena said.

He said the gunman rushed toward the child, took him in his arms, then screamed “I didn’t mean it!” four times.

The man, whom authorities later identified as Emmanuel Janabon, then ran toward his house. He has not been seen again.

Chief Insp. Teddy Tomas of the Mandaluyong police said a manhunt operation has been launched against Janabon. He said homicide charges would be filed against Janabon on Wednesday, when government offices reopen after the long holiday.

While reports included Ranjilo among the victims of indiscriminate firing during the holiday revelry, Senior Supt. Armando Bolalin, Mandaluyong’s police chief, clarified that it was also possible that the child was a victim of a weapon that had been fired accidentally.

In deep coma

Stephanie Nicole remains in critical condition at East Avenue Medical Center (EAMC), with the bullet which had entered the top of her head still lodged behind her left eye.

EAMC emergency room head Dr. Emmanuel Bueno said surgery to remove the bullet was not the best option as Stephanie’s brain remains swollen.

The brain swelling has to subside first before surgeons can remove the bullet, he said.

“She (Stephanie Nicole) is in a deep coma and is hooked up to a respirator because she is having difficulty breathing on her own,” Bueno said.

The difficulties with breathing might be because the center of her brain or the brain stem has been affected by the bullet, he said.

Shooter remains free

 

The aunt recalled that Stephanie Nicole, a first-grade pupil at Tala Elementary School, was all excited about the new year and kept dancing “Gangnam Style” with the other children.

“Whoever you are who fired that gun, you know who you are. Take responsibility for what you did. Look at what you did to my niece. I am sure you have children of your own and you can imagine the pain we feel,” Mercedita said, addressing the still unidentified shooter who fired a gun to greet the new year.

“I hope your conscience bothers you. I do not know if you can still sleep after what you did. But come out and face what you have done to my daughter,” added Elaine, 29, the girl’s mother.

 

Useless staying indoors

“It is so painful. She is such a good child and a diligent student. Who would have thought something like this could happen to her?” Elaine said, adding that she believes God will save her daughter.

Bueno observed that most of the six victims of stray bullets, including Stephanie Nicole and a 2-year-old girl, who were treated at the EAMC were outside their houses when they were hit.

By far the most serious case was that of 7-year-old Stephanie Nicole’s, he said.

But Bueno would not advise parents to keep their children indoors during the New Year’s Eve celebrations.

“I would not give that advice. I would rather say I hope nobody fires a gun [to welcome the new year] so this does not happen anymore,” he said.

“It does not matter to a bullet if someone is inside or outside his home. Even someone sleeping inside his house could be hit by a stray bullet,” Bueno said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: children death , Firecrackers , gunshot , New Year Casualties , New Year gunshots , new year revelry , New Year's Eve , Ranjilo Nemer , Stephanie Nicole Ella , stray bullet




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Massive infra spending set
  5. OFW brings MERS virus to Philippines
  6. DOJ to NBI: Arrest Cedric Lee, 4 others
  7. Cardinal Tagle to faithful: Join politics to clean it
  8. Estrada, Gigi Reyes denied access to evidence from other respondents
  9. Lacson’s wife loses diamond earring to thieves but recovers jewelry quickly with police arrest
  10. DOJ orders arrest of Cedric Lee
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • Obama launches measures to support solar energy in US
  • Nebraska toddler gets stuck inside claw machine
  • Philippine eagle rescued by Army turned over to DENR
  • Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
  • South Korea president shouted down by distraught parents
  • Sports

  • Vietnam says it will not host Asian Games
  • Nadal passes clay landmark with 300th victory
  • Wawrinka waltzes through with Monte Carlo walkover
  • Power Pinays smash India in Asian Women’s Club volleyball opener
  • PH youth boxers off to stumbling start in AIBA World tilt
  • Lifestyle

  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • Entertainment

  • Cannes film festival launches race for 2014 Palme d’Or
  • Jones, Godard, Cronenberg in competition at Cannes
  • Will Arnett files for divorce from Amy Poehler
  • American rapper cuts own penis, jumps off building
  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Business

  • Total says makes ‘very promising’ oil find off Ivory Coast
  • ‘Chinese Twitter’ firm Weibo to go public in US
  • World stocks subdued, Nikkei flat on profit taking
  • Asia stocks fail to match Wall Street gains
  • Fired Yahoo exec gets $58M for 15 months of work
  • Technology

  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Filipinos #PrayForSouthKorea
  • Taylor Swift tries video blogging, crashes into fan’s bridal shower
  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Malaysia quarantines 64 villagers over MERS virus
  • DFA: 2 Filipinos survive Korean ferry disaster
  • PH asks airline passengers to check for MERS
  • Syria most dangerous country for journalists, PH 3rd—watchdog
  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement