Fire incidents during New Year revelry in Metro Manila fewer by 50% this year
More News from Jamie Marie Elona
More News from INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines—The total number of fire incidents recorded in Metro Manila during the New Year revelry went down by almost half compared with that of last year, the National Capital Region Bureau of Fire Protection said Tuesday.
In a press conference, BFP-NCR director, Chief Superintendent Santiago Laguna said 12 fire incidents transpired in Metro Manila from Dec. 31, 2012, to Jan. 1, 2013—a nearly 50 percent decrease from last year’s total of 21 during the same period.
Among the 12 fire calls, only two were said to have been caused by firecrackers—likewise lower than last year’s four firecracker-related fire incidents.
The amount of damage also went down from P10 million last year to P3.8 million this year, and no one was reportedly killed from the fire incidents, except for one firefighter from Caloocan who sustained a minor laceration to his right cheek.
Among the incidents, the highest level recorded was the fifth alarm declared over the fire at the Amado V. Hernandez Elementary School in Barangay (village) Magsaysay, Herbosa, in Tondo, Manila, which started at 9:39 p.m.
Initial investigation showed that the blaze started at the second floor of the two-story building, particularly at the property custodian’s office. The cause of fire is yet to be determined.
“I commend all the firefighters of NCR who performed their sworn duty of ensuring that everyone in the neighborhood is safe from the hazards of fire brought by these firecrackers,” Lagun said.
BFP-NCR has been relentless in their fire-safety advocacy campaign in Metro Manila as early as mid-November.
The BFP also said that they would pursue the move to totally ban firecrackers.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94