Quantcast
Latest Stories

Police arrest more than 100 for ‘crackers in early hours

By

PNP Director General Alan Purisima

MANILA, Philippines–As the nation bade farewell to 2012, more than 100 persons so far had been arrested for selling, transporting and using prohibited firecrackers in separate police operations Monday, according to the Philippine National Police (PNP).

A day after President Aquino ordered an intensified crackdown on illegal firecrackers, PNP Director General Alan Purisima said the police responded by shutting down 65 establishments caught in violation of Republic Act No. 7183, the law regulating the manufacture, distribution, sale and use of firecrackers.

Purisima said police carried out inspections of 3,120 stalls and factories making and selling firecrackers and other pyrotechnics nationwide.

“I have ordered police commanders to closely monitor all establishments in their jurisdictions to ensure that no prohibited firecrackers will be sold and used before, during and after the New Year’s eve celebrations,” Purisima said.

The PNP chief said 80 persons had been arrested for violation of RA No. 7183 nationwide as of 7 a.m.

A separate report from the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said 113 individuals had been arrested in 228 police operations in the metropolis alone.

Director Leonardo Espina, NCRPO chief, said nine persons were arrested for the indiscriminate firing of guns.

He said almost 700 boxes of piccolos, a banned firecracker that has caused the most number of injuries among children, were confiscated in Metro Manila.

Purisima also sought the public’s assistance in going after manufacturers, traders and users of powerful and illegal firecrackers.

He said the public may call PNP hotline 117 or 0917-8475757 to report the sale or use of prohibited firecrackers.

He also ordered an investigation of policemen caught in a video lighting firecrackers in Quezon City.

“We will place under investigation even the direct (superiors) of these PNP personnel,” Purisima said.

In Laguna, the police on Monday destroyed illegal firecrackers confiscated from manufacturers and users in the province.

The firecrackers were piccolos, goodbye earth and goodbye Philippines varieties which the government has banned, according to Senior Supt. Pascual Muñoz, Laguna police director.

Muñoz said most of the firecrackers were seized from warehouses in Sta. Cruz and San Pedro towns and were valued at P1 million.

“Some of the manufacturers had licenses (to operate) but they were manufacturing the illegal ones,” said Senior Insp. Vicente Cabatingan of the Special Police Task Group that led the crackdown.

In Maasin City, Southern  Leyte, local Muslim traders notched lower pyrotechnic sales figures as the police strictly implemented the ban on illegal firecrackers.

“We are expecting lower sales this year because some items have been banned, particularly those that are in demand,” said a trader who identified himself only as Kokoy.

The Department of Trade and Industry and Department of Health had banned the manufacture and sale of firecrackers such as the piccolo, judas belt, pillbox, big bawang, goodbye earth and goodbye Philippines, among others.

RA No. 7183 mandates that persons caught manufacturing, selling, distributing or buying these items face imprisonment of six months to one year and a fine of P20,000 to P30,000. With reports from Maricar Cinco, Inquirer Southern Luzon, and Jani Arnaiz, Inquirer Visayas


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Firecrackers , Illegal firecrackers , Philippine National Police , PNP , President Benigno Aquino




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  4. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  5. Senator Pimentel backs German think tank’s stand vs dynasties
  6. Bar proctor suspended for photographing test papers
  7. Collector Danny Garcia says Inquirer worth more than news
  8. Meteor shower to light up PH skies
  9. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  5. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  8. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  9. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
  • Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
  • 4 French journalists freed from Syria captors home
  • Thousands celebrate Easter in Holy Land
  • Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
  • Sports

  • Red-hot Alaska rips injury-depleted San Mig Coffee
  • Pacquiao courtesy call to Aquino set for Monday
  • Nick Calathes suspension a reminder of supplement risk
  • Teague scores 28 as Hawks soar past Pacers in Game 1
  • Warriors beat Clippers in playoff opener
  • Lifestyle

  • Angono petroglyphs in danger of disappearing
  • Britain’s baby Prince George visits Australian zoo
  • Noli Yamsuan, Cardinal Sin’s ‘official’ photographer: ‘I could smell the aftershave lotion of the Pope’
  • Simplifying and lightening life
  • Where to go for Easter night-out
  • Entertainment

  • Show-biz celebrities’ other choices of summer getaway
  • Why ‘Noah’ can’t dock his ark at Philippine theaters
  • Acclaimed artist goes wild while on holiday
  • Believing in this mermaid
  • Missing Xian
  • Business

  • Top-selling insurance agent opens her dream café
  • Connecting and transacting with one another
  • Building wealth for health
  • Why Mandaue Foam buys, rather than rents, space
  • A workplace of new possibilities
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Epiphany
  • Unpaid creditor vs distressed debtor
  • Moving on
  • From culinary desert to paradise
  • Response to China: ‘Usjaphil’
  • Global Nation

  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Aquino, Obama to tackle US pivot to Asia during state visit
  • Asia seeks Obama’s assurance in territorial spats
  • Cesar Chavez movie sparks memories of Fil-Am labor leaders
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement