Quantcast
Latest Stories

No letup in police drive against illegal firecrackers

By

More than P50,000 worth of illegal firecrackers were destroyed just a few hours before the New Year by authorities at the Southern Police District (SPD) headquarters in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City.

At 1 p.m. Monday, members of the SPD Explosives and Ordnance Division burned dozens of “piccolo,” “pop pop,” “sawa,” “five-star,” “whistle bomb” and “Pacquiao ultraman.” But in the process, they blanketed the vicinity of the SPD grandstand in thick, suffocating smoke.

SPD director Chief Supt. Benito C. Estipona, meanwhile, hailed as a success the police district’s campaign against illegal firecrackers.

“Our policemen have been vigorous in [conducting] the anti-illegal firecrackers campaign. We expect to arrest [fewer vendors as a result],” he said.

According to Estipona, his men arrested 14 people who were caught selling the banned pyrotechnic materials while they closed down five stalls—four in Las Piñas and one in Muntinlupa City—after their owners were caught operating without the required permit.

District Operations and Plans Chief Supt. Victor Loares said that since Dec. 29, the SPD, in cooperation with local officials, has conducted 30 operations in its illegal fireworks campaign—seven in Muntinlupa, six each in Taguig and Las Piñas, five in Pateros, four in Pasay  and one each in Makati and Parañaque.

Meanwhile, members of the Baclaran-based Pasay Police Community Precinct 6 conducted their own operation against illegal fireworks vendors on Dec. 30 on Roxas Boulevard.

The banned items seized included “five-star” firecrackers, “whistling moon travelers” and “watusi.”

Insp. Jolly Castro Soriano, who led the operation, said that they have been conducting round-the-clock patrols since the third week of the month.

He added that they have also called on vendors selling illegal firecrackers, through the heads of their associations, to switch to other legitimate businesses.

“It would be a waste if we caught them doing that—not only will we arrest them, we will also destroy their goods,” Soriano said.

According to Soriano, the Pasay police have organized teams composed of eight

policemen each to conduct the operations.

Even members of the Special Weapons and Tactics unit and Special Branch teams have been tapped in the drive.

For the police, their efforts to go after illegal firecrackers vendors have been so far successful. “The number of sellers has been drastically reduced, especially in areas like Rotonda in Roxas Boulevard, where they can be usually seen every New Year’s Eve,” Soriano said.

Under Republic Act No. 7183, which regulates the sale, manufacture, distribution and use of firecrackers, pyrotechnics that contain more than 0.2 grams of explosive ingredients, ignite in less than three seconds or before the count of six and carry no manufacturer’s label are prohibited. Violators may be imprisoned for up to six months and fined P20,000.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Illegal firecrackers , Philippines - Metro , Police , southern police district spd




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • Whistle-blowers now alarmed
  • Palace prepared to charge its allies
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • PNP chief on plunder raps: ‘Amateurish’
  • Makati readies 12-month traffic plan for Skyway 3
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces, force do-or-die tiff
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Honda upgrades PH plant
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH, HK end bitter row; sanctions lifted
  • 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement