Blizzard leaves 100,000 without power in Canada
More News from Agence France-Presse
Heavy snow weighed down branches, causing some to fall and damage power lines, Etat Hydro-Quebec said in a statement on their web site.
In other cases, heavy winds brought down power lines and damaged equipment, and made it difficult for repair crews to get out to restore power.
The company said “more than 100,000 clients are without power” after Friday’s storm as of 9:15 am local time (1415 GMT), adding that most of the outages were in the regions of Laurentians, Lanaudiere and Outaouais.
It did not say when they thought the power might be restored.
According to Quebec media, snow continued to pile up in several parts of the province Saturday morning.
Winter storm warnings were still in effect in much of the province, including the western regions of Abitibi-Temiscamingue and Outaouais, the central Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, and Cote-Nord, a large region in the north.
At least 60 centimeters (two feet) of snow had fallen Friday in parts of the province, especially north of the Saint-Laurent River. Many schools had been shut down and roads closed to traffic.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94