After 4-month leave, prisons chief quits
MANILA, Philippines—Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Gaudencio Pangilinan, who voluntarily went on leave four months ago after the Rolito Go abduction fiasco, has tendered his resignation to President Aquino, according to Justice Secretary Leila De Lima.
De Lima disclosed on Friday that Pangilinan sent his resignation letter last week.
“I am waiting for the actual confirmation and the action of the President so that I can now officially open the process of vetting certain applicants, certain nominees and to scout for talents,” she told reporters.
De Lima said she hoped that the Department of Justice would be able recommend a BuCor director at the start of the new year.
She said five or six individuals had “manifested their interest” to head BuCor by applying with the DOJ and the Office of the President.
Pangilinan went on indefinite leave in August after high-profile convict Go went missing at the National Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City. Go and his nephew were later found to have been abducted.
Pangilinan also has a pending case before the Office of the Ombudsman stemming from a complaint of a prison guard filed that anomalies had dogged the BuCor since the former assumed office in July 2011.
The complaint detailed alleged procurement anomalies such as the splitting of contracts to allow small-value procurements and dodge public-bidding requirements. The complaint also touched on the alleged misuse of BuCor’s trust funds.
If President Aquino accepts Pangilinan’s resignation, it will be the third time he will be appointing a new BuCor director under his watch.
Pangilinan succeeded Ernesto Diokno who resigned after the escape of another convicted killer, former Batangas Gov. Antonio Leviste.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94