Latest Stories

‘Where we fell … we will rise again’


Army Pfc. Albert Fuyonan should have been celebrating his wedding at a church in Tagum City in Davao del Norte on Saturday instead of being confined in a hospital.

His company commander, Lt. Alex Daezeta, is also confined at the Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Center in Quezon City but is raring to return to action in typhoon-battered New Bataan, where, he said, “we fell… we will rise again.”

But it was Fuyonan’s bride to be, Rowena, that was on his mind on Saturday.

Rowena does not mind that her wedding had to be postponed and her gown kept in the meantime.

What’s important is her fiancé is alive and well, after being swept away by the flash flood that devastated New Bataan town in Compostela Valley.

“I knew in my heart that he was going to live,” Rowena said, standing beside Poypoy, Fuyonan’s nickname, at the hospital.

Although she was composed while she was waiting for word about Fuyonan in the aftermath of Typhoon “Pablo,” Rowena just cried and cried when they finally saw each other at a hospital in Davao.

Fuyonan is recuperating at AFP Medical Center, along with Deazeta and his platoon leader, Lt. Jose Enrico Nuas.

The three men are among the 22 soldiers from Charlie Company of the Army’s 66th Infantry Battalion who survived after they were swept away by floodwaters, along with the residents of Barangay Andap.

Four soldiers were killed and seven others remain missing, Deazeta told the Inquirer.

“We’ve accepted the fact that as soldiers, we can die anytime. What’s important was their bodies were recovered for the sake of their families,” Deazeta said.

Deazeta, a member of the Philippine Military Academy Class 2007, saw combat in previous assignments.

But he said Typhoon Pablo brought him face to face with the most formidable enemy he ever encountered. Against the fury of nature, Deazeta didn’t stand a chance.

Winning hearts and minds

Two platoons of Charlie Company were assigned to Barangay Andap in New Bataan, one each stationed on opposite sides of the mountain.

Deazeta, the company commander, said he and his men had been in Barangay Andap as part of the military’s Internal Peace and Security Plan Bayanihan since July.

In the past five months, the soldiers developed a livelihood program for the residents, particularly the young people.

Deazeta said he and his men did feasibility studies before introducing programs so that these would be sustainable and the residents could really earn from them and improve their lives long after the military had left the town.

By December, the unit had already reserved 2,000 fingerlings of catfish and tilapia. “We were just waiting for the materials to be used to build the fish pens in the school,” Deazeta said.

Charlie Company had also developed a cooperative project for the military’s auxiliary soldiers, also known as Cafgus, and their families. Deazeta said they were going to set up a sari-sari store that would sell goods at lower prices.

Everything was looking bright for the community and the soldiers. Deazeta said nothing could make the soldiers happier than the residents’ smiles and greetings of “Hello.”

Typhoon alert

On Dec. 3, Deazeta said the company was alerted for possible rescue operations as Pablo barreled toward the region.

On the southeastern portion of the mountain, where Deazeta and one platoon were stationed, residents went down to seek shelter in the center of the village, regarded as the safest place in the area.

“Signal No. 2 was announced on television that night. But there was very little rain and the people were thinking, ‘This is it?’” Deazeta recalled.

Morning came, and so did heavy rains. “At around 7 a.m., we heard a grinding sound from the top of the mountain. It was faint at first but then it began to get louder. We decided to evacuate the people,” Deazeta said.

By then, all communication signals were down as the first typhoon to hit the area approached with peak winds of up to 200 kilometers per hour. The soldier could not use even their cell phones.

Deazeta had around 40 men with him and more than a hundred residents who had sought shelter in the multipurpose hall, the Catholic and Baptist churches, the senior citizens’ hall, among other shelters.

The soldiers packed people into the KM 450 truck. Lieutenant Nuas and another soldier hung at the back to assist the evacuees.

Waves kept on coming

Deazeta instructed Nuas to ask for more trucks from the battalion headquarters to evacuate the people in Barangay Andap. It was Nuas’ first assignment on the field after graduating from the military academy earlier this year.

“But suddenly, we saw [floodwater] about two feet high coming. We knew that the truck, with its weight and the people in it, would hold in the water,” Deazeta said.

But since Nuas and the other soldier were only hanging on the vehicle, they had to jump and run back to the multipurpose hall where Deazeta was.

To their surprise, it was not just floodwater. The water carried mud, logs and boulders along with it. The flood swept the truck, which flipped to its side. Then the water subsided, allowing the soldiers to run to it and pull out the people to safety.

Just as everybody had reached the multipurpose hall, another rush of floodwater came. “It was a wave,” Deazeta said. Everybody watched the truck bob up and down and finally disappear.

Then the waves came one after another, Deazeta said. He clambered up to the roof of the hall to check where they could all move because he knew the hall wouldn’t stand in the powerful onrush of floodwater.

Like being in a blender

But floodwater enveloped the whole place, trapping everybody. They watched as floodwater swept the barangay hall away. Deazeta knew they were all trapped.

Nuas and Fuyonan were also looking for higher ground when another wave swept toward the multipurpose hall, Nuas turned to the soldiers and the people and screamed, “Talon (Jump)!”

He saw four soldiers jump with him. No resident followed. Just as they jumped, the water swallowed Nuas and Fuyonan.

On the roof, Deazeta felt the hall shake and crash. And he, too, was swept away.

Also washed away were Pfc. Ramil Pedrero, 27, his wife Jaysyl and their year-old daughter, Jasmine.

Pedrero and his wife would get separated in the flood but find each other later. Jasmine’s body has not been recovered.

“It felt like being inside a blender. You’re twisting and turning, and there’s mud, rocks and logs hitting you,” Nuas said.

Deazeta felt it would never end, being dragged by the current. He also felt being pinned between two logs. “I was getting very tired. I just surrendered everything to the higher being,” Deazeta said.

Bright light, helping hand

At that moment, he closed his eyes. And then there was a bright light and what he figured was a left hand reaching out to him. He reached back and held on to the hand. When he opened his eyes, he was hanging on to the roots of an uprooted tree. Mustering all his strength, he pulled himself out of the mud.

When he looked up, there was a church in front of him. “I don’t go to church regularly. But I pray in my own way. I call the higher being, ‘best friend,’” Deazeta said.

He was naked because the strong current ripped his uniform apart and was able to reach an empty house where he found clothes. He later heard people coming and he asked for help.

Nuas called out to Jehovah for help. Fuyonan saw a bright light as he was about to give up but a fallen coconut tree came with the torrent and he clung to it.

When the flood subsided, Nuas stood up and heard Fuyonan call out to him. But then another wave came. Determined to live, Nuas jumped to higher ground and anchored himself on a tree with his leg.

The two men were soon reunited with the other soldiers who were able to make it to higher ground, along with the other residents, the group that took refuge in the church.

It was then that they noticed a gaping wound on Fuyonan’s side. They treated the wound with guava leaves until help arrived.

Deazeta’s fiancée, Chantelle, said that he was all bruised and swollen when she saw him at the hospital. His eyes, ears and nose were all covered with mud.

We shall return

His injured men were with him, and when he tried to walk days later, they assisted him even if they, too, had their own injuries to worry about. Such brotherhood brought tears to Chantelle’s eyes.

“This could be our most boring Christmas because we will be spending it in the hospital but it is the most blessed Christmas,” Chantelle said, wiping away her tears.

Deazeta said the rest of the injured men of Charlie Company were recuperating in Davao. He said the Pedrero couple were the most traumatized because of the loss of their daughter.

But the rest are raring to go back to Barangay Andap to continue the work they have begun.

“We want to go back despite what happened to us. We want to turn the place into ‘Renewed’ Bataan. It was where we fell. It is where we will rise again,” Deazeta said.

Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Albert Fuyonan , Alex Daezeta , Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Center , flash flood , New Bataan town , Tagum City , Typhoon Pablo

Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
  1. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  2. Cagayan mayor shot dead after flag-raising ceremony
  3. Obama, family cause a small stir at Easter service
  4. Santiago sees Palace hand in Gigi’s return
  5. ‘Malang’ next crocodile attraction after ‘Lolong’
  6. Gigi Reyes’ only option: tell all
  7. Malaysia Airlines jet turns back after tire burst
  8. Ancient enigmatic carvings in danger of disappearing
  9. New plant to boost supply of clean energy
  10. More bodies from ship; transcript reveals wavering
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia


  • Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  • Group: Bataan cop killed to stop him from exposing colleagues linked to drug ring
  • Chemical Engineer licensure examination
  • Troubled history fuels Japan-China tension
  • Palace: Our concern is to ensure MRT runs smoothly
  • Sports

  • NLEX fights off Derulo Accelero to remain unbeaten
  • Mayweather diehard Bieber eats pride, poses with Pacquiao for photo op
  • Power Pinays rip Singapore to enter quarters in Asian volley tilt
  • PBA D-League: Waves edge skidding Superchargers
  • Ilad’s last-second basket lifts Gems over Bakers
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • Arrest warrants out vs. Deniece Cornejo, Cedric Lee, et al over serious illegal detention
  • Lindsay Lohan says she had a miscarriage
  • Discovery network cancels Everest jump
  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Business

  • Century Pacific Food sets IPO price at P13.75 per share
  • Oil prices down in quiet Asian trade
  • Asian shares mixed in holiday-thinned trade
  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Technology

  • PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia
  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Balikatan could spoil peace talks, says militant group
  • DFA officers hold workshop on aiding human traffic victims
  • Canada in communication with PH on toxic wastes
  • Filipinos in Middle East urged not to panic amid MERS-CoV scare
  • Obama on mission to quiet Asia skeptics
  • Marketplace