Quantcast
Latest Stories

Capitol, Centcom extend aid to Pablo victims in Cebu


FINANCIAL and material assistance were provided yesterday by Capitol officials in three southern Cebu towns that were hit hardest by typhoon Pablo two weeks ago.

Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia visited families displaced by Pablo in the towns of Boljoon, Santander, and Samboan with her contingent of political allies headed by her father, Deputy House Speaker Pablo Garcia.

About 177 houses were devastated by Pablo in the three towns with Samboan receiving the brunt of the devastation with 114 houses destroyed followed by 51 houses in Santander and 12 in Boljoon.

Those who lost their homes were given P3,000 each while each of the 410 residents whose houses were damages received P1,000 each in financial aid.

In Boljoon, Governor Garcia also gave P10,000 to Teresita Pila, the daughter of 50-year-old Arlenda who died after being hit by a fallen tree last Dec. 4.

The elder Garcia also pledged to finance the restoration of Boljoon’s baywalk parkcoincidentally named “Pablo.”

The Garcias will also help repair the roofing of Samboan’s municipal gym.Boljoon Mayor Teresita Celis thanked the Garcias for the support.

Santander and Samboan Mayors Marilyn Wenceslao and Raymond Joseph Calderon also provided housing materials to the victims.

For their part, the Central Command (Centcom) said they will hold a gift-giving activity to typhoon Pablo victims at their grandstand and parade grounds at 4 p.m today.

Centcom spokesman Lt. Mark Enriquez said the activity is in line with the directive of President Beningo Aquino III for government agencies to tone down their Christmas celebrations or hold fund-raising events for typhoon Pablo victims in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental.

Enriquez said the Centcom will also turn over wheelchairs to beneficiaries.

“A simple yet meaningful” Christmas party will also be held for all organic personnel and their families,” he said.

In the Davao region, the death toll caused by the onslaught of typhoon “Pablo” breached the 1,000 mark, with over 800 persons still missing, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said yesterday.

In its latest report, the NDRRMC said 1,020 bodies were recovered from the areas ravaged by the killer typhoon, most of them from the hardest-hit provinces of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental.

About 844 persons were still unaccounted for while 2,662 were injured during the flashfloods, landslides and other events triggered by the typhoon.

Four Cebuana friends took a leave of absence from their work and raised P170,000 in cash from friends and relatives for Pablo victims in Baganga town, Davao Oriental which had been rendered inaccessible after the main Caraga bridge collapsed.

The group had to fly to Davao City at dawn, buy relief goods, hire a truck to make the six-hour road trip, cross a river no longer passable by bridge, and ride a multi-cab to reach Baganga by nightfall. Correspondent Carmel Loise Matus with Senior Reporter Marian Z. Codilla and Inquirer reports


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Cebu , financial aid , relief goods , Typhoon Pablo




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  2. Cagayan mayor shot dead after flag-raising ceremony
  3. Obama, family cause a small stir at Easter service
  4. Santiago sees Palace hand in Gigi’s return
  5. ‘Malang’ next crocodile attraction after ‘Lolong’
  6. Gigi Reyes’ only option: tell all
  7. Malaysia Airlines jet turns back after tire burst
  8. Ancient enigmatic carvings in danger of disappearing
  9. New plant to boost supply of clean energy
  10. More bodies from ship; transcript reveals wavering
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • 22 houses destroyed, 3 hurt as violent wind storm hits village
  • 242 out of 438 pass board tests for chemical engineers
  • Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  • 5 OFWs from Negros quarantined for MERS-CoV tests
  • Release of village chief’s truck caught carrying illegal logs slammed
  • Sports

  • Alaska takes quarterfinals opener over San Mig Coffee
  • Jackson finds second wind to push Meralco past Rain or Shine
  • NLEX fights off Derulo Accelero to remain unbeaten
  • Mayweather diehard Bieber eats pride, poses with Pacquiao for photo op
  • Power Pinays rip Singapore to enter quarters in Asian volley tilt
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • Arrest warrants out vs. Deniece Cornejo, Cedric Lee, et al over serious illegal detention
  • Lindsay Lohan says she had a miscarriage
  • Discovery network cancels Everest jump
  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Business

  • Oil prices to go up on supply concerns, optimism on US rebound
  • Century Pacific Food sets IPO price at P13.75 per share
  • Oil prices down in quiet Asian trade
  • Asian shares mixed in holiday-thinned trade
  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Technology

  • PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia
  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • QC woman who flew in from Middle East tests negative for MERS-CoV
  • DFA, DOH urge OFWs not to panic over MERS-Cov
  • Balikatan could spoil peace talks, says militant group
  • DFA officers hold workshop on aiding human traffic victims
  • Canada in communication with PH on toxic wastes
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement