Quantcast
Latest Stories

Clinton suffers concussion, forced to stay home

By

Hillary Rodham Clinton. AP FILE PHOTO

WASHINGTON—US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton fainted and suffered a concussion while battling a nasty stomach bug, an official said Saturday, just days before the release of a key probe into the Benghazi attack.

“While suffering from a stomach virus, Secretary Clinton became dehydrated and fainted, sustaining a concussion,” Clinton’s top aide Philippe Reines said in a statement, without giving further details of what happened.

The news came just as Clinton, 65, had been expected to testify on Thursday to US lawmakers about the findings of the investigation into September’s militant attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

The normally indefatigable Clinton, who in her four years as the top US diplomat has traveled almost a million miles visiting 112 countries, was “recovering” but plans to stay away from the office next week.

“She has been recovering at home and will continue to be monitored regularly by her doctors,” Reines added.

At their recommendation, Clinton “will continue to work from home next week, staying in regular contact with Department and other officials.”

Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, chairwoman of the House foreign affairs committee, wished Clinton a quick recovery.

“It is, however, unfortunate that Secretary Clinton is unable to testify next week… on the investigation into the terrorist attack that killed four Americans and left others injured,” Lehtinen added.

Lawmakers still have “tough questions about State Department threat assessments and decision-making on Benghazi. This requires a public appearance by the secretary of state herself.”

Clinton has already been out of the public eye for the past week, after cancelling a trip to North Africa when she contracted the stomach virus on her return from a five-day visit to Europe.

She had been due to testify at open hearings next week in both the House and Senate on the outcome of the State Department investigation into the Benghazi assault in which the ambassador and three other Americans died.

State Department acting deputy spokesman Patrick Ventrell confirmed Friday the report should be completed by early next week.

Its findings are not binding, but “it’s a chance for the department as a whole to look at our operations and look at what needs to be done to improve security,” he said.

Clinton has said she takes full responsibility, repeatedly stressing that no one wants to find out what happened in Benghazi more than she does.

The September 11 attack became a political punchbag in the final, furious weeks of the 2012 presidential elections, and has already complicated Obama’s calculations for his second term cabinet.

The report’s findings are also likely to ignite another storm of protest, with Republicans already scenting blood.

Republicans have castigated the administration for failing to provide proper security, and for employing local Libyan security staff.

They also allege the administration sought to cover up links to Al-Qaeda by initially insisting the attack was sparked by a protest over an anti-Islam video, which had triggered public fury in Libya’s neighbor Egypt.

Veteran diplomat Thomas Pickering, who has been heading up the accountability review board and another member of the team, Admiral Mike Mullen, will instead brief the House committee Wednesday behind closed doors.

Even though Clinton aims to step down as secretary of state early next year, Obama has not yet revealed his pick to replace her.

The Republican ire at Benghazi cost US envoy to the United Nations, Susan Rice, her hopes of succeeding Clinton.

Rice appeared on the Sunday talk shows just days after the assault to say that, according to the intelligence available, it arose from a “spontaneous” demonstration.

On Thursday, Rice asked Obama to withdraw her name from consideration, saying it would only lead to a protracted fight after several Republicans threatened to block her nomination.

Veteran Senator John Kerry, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, is now the odds-on favorite to replace Clinton at the helm of the State Department— an ambition he has long cherished.

This week Clinton again denied she was planning to run in the 2016 White House race, saying she wanted to rest after spending two decades in the public eye. But she stressed her age would not rule her out in four years time.

“I am, thankfully, knock on wood, not only healthy, but have incredible stamina and energy,” she told ABC.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Benghazi attack , concussion , diplomat’ death , Hillary Clinton , Hillary Rodham Clinton , John Kerry , Libyan terror attack , Susan Rice , US secretary of state




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  2. Chinese lawyers say they were tortured by police
  3. Hair salon’s Kim Jong Un poster riles embassy
  4. Siquijor ‘healer’: For every cure, there’s a plant
  5. State seeks guilty verdict for Abalos
  6. Why college grads end up in the PNP
  7. Estrada: I will pray for my detractors
  8. Miraculous image makes Gapan City top site for pilgrimage in Central Luzon
  9. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  10. Five men from Cavite found dead in jeep in Batangas
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. Massage attendant arrested on rape complaint filed by Japanese tourist
  3. ‘Tell no one’ Makati bettor won P250M lotto
  4. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  5. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  6. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  7. North Korea uses flamethrower to execute official
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  10. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • How other faiths observe Holy Week
  • No noise, partying in Boracay on Good Friday
  • More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  • NATO ups military presence amid Russian threat
  • DOH issues official statement on confirmed case of MERS-CoV
  • Sports

  • Tenacious Iran frustrates Qatar to retain Asian Club volleyball crown
  • Floyd Mayweather is ESPN’s top-paid athlete
  • Pistorius trial: Judge sets 2-week adjournment
  • China, Taiwan rout foes for 3rd, 5th places in Asian Club volleyball
  • Ginebra’s new import Freeman arrives, makes PBA return vs ROS
  • Lifestyle

  • Are your favorite malls open this Holy Week break?
  • Celebrate Easter Sunday at Buddha-Bar Manila
  • Moriones feast: A slow, steady transformation
  • Weaving ‘palaspas’ a tradition kept alive in Tayabas City
  • Finalists announced for best translated books
  • Entertainment

  • Filipino rock icons to hold silent concert
  • Mommy Dionisia Pacquiao’s greatest hits
  • Deniece Cornejo posts bail—report
  • Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels US concert
  • Otaku Summer Jam 2014: Summer’s hottest J-rock/Cosplay event
  • Business

  • Russian economy hit by Ukraine turmoil
  • PSEi firms up ahead of Lenten break
  • I-Remit teams up with Lakhoo for remittances from Oman
  • Megawide nets P1.4 B in 2013
  • Longer TRO sought on rate hike
  • Technology

  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Another reason to quit social media this Holy Week: your safety
  • Opinion

  • We may never know
  • Couple of things
  • Mommy D’s magic
  • Stop bizarre and bloody Good Friday rituals
  • Holy Week taboos
  • Global Nation

  • Netizens welcome Japan’s visa-free travel plan
  • Visa-free travel by Filipinos to Japan still a proposal
  • Visa-free travel to Japan could boost tourism
  • 2 PCG men ordered arrested over Balintang Channel shooting
  • US Embassy closed on Holy Thursday, Good Friday
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement