Quantcast
pork barrel

Typhoon victims beg for food along roads



NEW BATAAN, Compostela Valley—Desperate families begged for food on Sunday—nearly a week after Typhoon “Pablo” struck and despite earlier assurances by Aquino administration officials in press releases that they had prepositioned emergency supplies in the potential disaster zone.

The country was spared a second punch by Pablo on Sunday. While moving out in the West Philippine Sea, the typhoon made a U-turn at the weekend and headed toward the Ilocos region, but a cold front from the northeast sucked out its strength.

By Sunday afternoon, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration downgraded Pablo (international name: Bopha) into a low-pressure area. The once monster typhoon brought rain, but there was no report of flooding.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) in Manila on Saturday put the death toll from Pablo at 548 and the number of missing at 827.

However, the Office of Civil Defense in Tagum City said 592 had been confirmed killed in just two provinces—316 in Compostela Valley and 276 in Davao Oriental.

Tropical Storm “Sendong,” which struck Mindanao a year ago, left more than 1,500 dead.

Pablo swept across Mindanao with wind gusts of up to 200 kilometers per hour on Tuesday, flattening farmlands, blowing away houses and igniting landslides.

As the typhoon was barreling toward Mindanao, the NDRRMC and the Department of Social Welfare and Development repeatedly announced that preparations were in place and that urgently needed supplies had been sent to areas on the path of the 16th cyclone to hit the country this year.

‘Have mercy on us’

But yesterday in the mountain town of New Bataan, which took the brunt of the typhoon, families lined the roads holding signs begging for food.

“Have mercy on us, please donate,” read one sign held by a group of ragged kids. “We need food,” read another sign displayed by a group standing amid ruined banana plantations.

A farmer’s wife, Madeline Blanco, 36, said her family was trying to make do while sheltering in a tent on a basketball court.

“We were given rations, but it was not enough. Just rice, bread and noodles. It is not enough for me and my four children,” she told Agence France-Presse. “All we can do is wait for donations. There are cars passing by and sometimes drivers give us something,” she said.

Another farmer’s wife, Emma Toledo, 59, complained that the relief supplies from the national government had yet to arrive.

“We have not been given anything yet. Only the local government and the village officials gave us something, just some rice, noodles and dried fish,” said the mother of three.

Drivers of private vehicles also handed out donations but the lack of coordination led to more confusion.

When a truck from a local power company arrived to distribute relief supplies, it was mobbed by hungry villagers and many children were almost trampled in the chaos.

“I’ve been here for a long time. I am hungry and my children need food,” one angry woman yelled as she pushed her way to the front.’

 

Gov’t doing its best

A regional civil defense operations officer, Antonio Cloma, said many relief agencies, both government and nongovernment, were entering the area with supplies for typhoon victims.

“The government is doing its best to support the requirements for these victims,” he insisted.

Authorities fear the death toll could hit a thousand.

The stench of death has become unbearable that decomposing bodies uncovered are immediately buried, said Capt. Raul Villegas of the 10th Infantry Division, based in Mawab town in Compostela Valley.

“We are still hoping we could find survivors,” Villegas said yesterday. “But the chance of finding missing people alive is getting thinner by the hour.”

Search operations on Sunday were concentrated in New Bataan, where sniffer dogs were being used to lead teams from police, Army and rescue groups to bodies buried under fallen trees or thick mud that enveloped a large swathe of the desolate town.

At least 316 bodies have been found in Compostela Valley, 165 of them in New Bataan alone. The death toll there included four soldiers, Villegas said. At least 441 people are still missing in New Bataan, while 20 others in other areas of the 11-town Compostela Valley.

Villegas said Davao Oriental had recorded 276 dead, including 122 in Baganga and 103 in Cateel municipalities. Another 61 were missing in the province, he said. With reports from AFP, Jeannette I. Andrade, Dona Z. Pazzibugan in Manila; and Frinston Lim, Dennis Jay Santos and Nico Alconaba, Inquirer Mindanao


Follow Us



west philippine sea

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Aquino Administration , Compostela Valley , National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council , natural disaster , Pablo , relief operations , Typhoon Pablo , typhoon victims , West Philippine Sea


  • randyaltarejos

    Again, I could smell something is not right here. Pardon me for saying a bad thing. But, perhaps, the relief goods are being hoarded to a safe locations by some local government officials. Please don’t do this. These goods are for the typhoon victims. Give the goods to them. If these goods will not reach them, surely the list of dying victims will grow.

    • Guest

      Hindi makakain ang puro meeting lang ni Sec. Mar Roxas sa mga LGUs. Ang kailangan
      doon, pagkain para sa mga biktima ng typhoon Pablo.

  • catmanjohn

    There is an old mariners saying, “the sea will find all your mistakes…”. In this case, Nature has found all the errors and weaknesses of the Philippine government. After the storm, not even a typhoon, Sendong killed over a thousand people last year, you would think that the Federal government and local governors would have set up some emergency response plans to disasters such as this one, but obviously did not. Furthermore, Mike Arroyos ill purchased helicopters could be used for supplying food and water to victims of the storm, but are probably sitting idle, due to incompetence and fear of flying such crappy machines. The politicians, like Arroyo, the governors, and even President Aquino are being exposed as colossal failures by the forces of Nature.

  • Ommm

    Where are these new helicopters this government just spent billions on??…or even the old ones? These could have been shuttling food to these remote towns the day after Pablo.

    We must face the fact the people of the Philippines are on their own….the disaster relief is itself a disaster…. 

    • http://profile.yahoo.com/UR6AKMU2J2D4GOPDU4QMRZDB7Q felipe

      how can the victims survive the onslaught with a few kilos of rice, a few cans of canned goods & few packets of noodles !!!! na saan ang mayayaman, na saan ang  simbahan, na saan ang mga religious organizations, na saan ang mga kawang gawa. na saan ang mga pork barrel ng mga politiko, na saan ang  awa sa kapua tao, na saan ang maka dios, na saan ang mga pala- simba, na saan ….!!!! 

  • Maldi2

    Where are the yellow tards?  Why can’t they defend Simeon on this article?  While they feast on GMA and Simeon’s cosmetic reports, this write-up is but one of sore to their eyes.  Truth hurts huh!

    • Guest

      Walang naibigay si Sec. Roxas kasi pumusta siya kay Manny Pacquiao na natalo kay
      Marquez. Bwahaha!

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/DUTZ4KC3XUATY6Y2O6TUHWGQUM Borik

    There is a Philippine association of social workers. Why doesnt the government make request to this association so that they can deploy social workers in every nook and cranny of New Bataan and other affected areas of Mindanao and help in the distribution of relief goods. We did this in 2004 during the REINA tragedy else the national government is only half serious in helping the victims of this disaster.    

  • zeroko

    This is a case of “Too little, to late” The catastrophe is so gigantic, no government can solve it. Meanwhile, there will be mass starvation. Famine and disease is widespread.  The victims numbers is in hundreds of thousand. Just look at the picture of Campostella Valley. The entire residential houses were erase in the Map, not even the government structures remain unscathed. 200 kph wind is no joke. It can decapitate your head  per se, if you bring out your head from a bus window with that kind of speed.. 

    God save it’s people. With no money, how can the people survive?

    • http://profile.yahoo.com/UR6AKMU2J2D4GOPDU4QMRZDB7Q felipe

      this is always the result when calamities hit areas saturated w/ people…is there a better argument why approval of the RH bill is a must ??? 

      • http://profile.yahoo.com/G53CFQJFXUALDSTD736RL5TB7U aldrin

         hay wala namang kinalaman RH Bill dito. bat kaya ung mga pumuputak na arsobispo kesyo ang dahilan daw ng ganito eh RH bill eh wala man lang magawa para tumulong. buti pa ung mga parokya sa mga lugar na yun may natulong sa tao pero di naman pumuputak tungkol sa RH bill

        On topic: I will pray for the victims, eto kylangan nila. plus kung may donation drive I can give my used clothes para sa victims

  • $37644997

    The “pacman”of the Philippines makes $20 million dollars a fight plus millions more on endorsement.Can he help?

  • RRSPEAK

    • • • The country’s Oligarchs (the Oil Giants, the Mall Tycoons, the Rice Monopolists, the Power Moguls, the Political Dynasties, the Telecom Giants, the Beer Giants, the Property Bigwigs, the Food Billionaires, and other Captains of Industries) where wealth is concentrated ought to use their GOD-given WEALTH to help out the victims of natural calamities since those VICTIMS are also their CUSTOMERS from whom they acquired their wealth through profiteering and VAT-Passing.

    • • • Attention Oligarchs : Let us strive to use our resources WISELY and try not to become so GREEDY, for the world’s resoiurces are enough for everybody’s NEEDS but not enough for everybody’s GREED, for the former all came from the LORD and we are just His stewards to manage the wealth of this WORLD. ((^_^)) ☻☺☻☺☻

  • Magsasaka

    nasaan na yong pondo?nanakaw na naman ng mga mapagsamantala at papalabasin nilang naibigay na sa mga nangangailangan

  • Your_King

    If anyone ever needs any proof that Aquino does not care enough or at all about the poor then this is it. These victims have just been through some catastrophic stuff and some have lost everything and Aquino has not done near enough. He gave a few hand-outs the other day to fulfill his quota and photo-op but now these people are being neglected and are begging for food.

  • kilabot

    when it’s pork for congs it’s blitzkrieg; when it’s food for typhoon victims it takes a week; 
    that’s the new normal. so abnoying. 

  • Marcial72

    Nasaan na yung P 3.29 million na tulong sa mga biktima at ang P 40.25 million na standby funds ni Dinky at P45.86 million na relief supplies???

    • Guest

      What? Walang naiutulong si Sec. Roxas sa mga nasalanta ni Pablo. Paano kung yan ang magiging Presidente natin? Mag-isip-isip kayo mga kbbyan.

      • Guest

        Baka naman..wala ng tiwala kay Sec. Mar Roxas ang mga sponsors niya..Posible yan!

      • Guest

        Sabagay kahit si DILG Secretary Mar Roxas wala ring naibigay  na tulong sa mgang biktima ng bagyo. Makunat talaga!

    • Guest

      Upon instructions of Sec. Mar Roxas, ang mga binigyan lang ni Sec. Dinky
      Soliman ay iyong mga lugar kung saan kakampi o kaalyado ng LP.

       

  • AJ Giorgio

    di ba kayo nagtataka.. lagi nang may bagyo at baha.. pero di pa rin tayo natutong mag-ingat..

    lagi nang may relief operations.. pero ang gulo pa rin ng sistema sa pag distribute ng relief goods.. di pa rin tayo nasanay kung pano gawin ng maayos ..

    ano na lang ang natutunan natin?

    • jeffrey_01

      Yan ang gusto ng mga politiko dahil may photo opportunity na naman.  Kunwarin namimigay ng tulong.
      Tingnan mo kung walang bagyo walang tulong para mabawasan ang pagguho at pagbaha. 
      Walang tumutugis sa mga illegal loggers  and walang naaaresto sa mga illegal miners.

  • Guest

    Bakit LGUs sa Capiz ang pinulong ni Sec. Mar Roxas at hindi LGUs sa Mindanao? Hindi
    makakatulong yung puro pulong lang gagawin niya.

    • Guest

      Billions ang kinikita nitong sina Soliman at Roxas sa CCT program tapos
      di man lang sila makatulong sa pagbigay ng relief goods. Bawasan nyo yan!

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/OPBZFICBMZUCRUW2KP4QN6QUDY carlo

    ngbigay rin ng relief good
    si VP BINAY

    may tatak epal
    naman ang mga bag
    na lagayan….

    gumasto pa ng gnun
    e kung ibinili nlng
    sana ng tubig ung pinagpagawa
    marami pa sana silang
    matatanggap na tulong….

    ANG TANONG: PERA mo ba ang pinagpagawa mo ng epal bag na un o pera ng masa???? epal-kupal

    • jeffrey_01

      Nakasave si Binay, pera natin ginamit nya.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/OPBZFICBMZUCRUW2KP4QN6QUDY carlo

    anu naman kayang tulong ang

    ibinigay ni mar roxas????

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/OPBZFICBMZUCRUW2KP4QN6QUDY carlo

    anu naman ginawa

    ng mayor at gobernador
    ng lugar jan???

    ndi ko man lamang Mbasa ang mga pangalan nila….

    • jeffrey_01

      FFFucking and screwingg the victims.

  • Guest

    Kayo naman..nagso-solicit naman daw si Sec. Roxas sa kanyang mga sponsors para sa
    mga biktima ni Pablo. Kaya lang…walang magbigay..bakit kaya?

    • Guest

      Di ba ang news the other day, buhos daw ang relief goods from other
      countries sa mga victims ni Pablo. Baka yun naman ang napunta sa bahay ni Sec.
      Dinky Soliman.

  • Guest

    Namamalimos na sa kalye ang mga biktima ni typhoon Pablo. O akala ko
    namudmod na relief goods si DSWD Sec. Dinky Soliman. Ilabas mo na!

     

  • Guest

    Hindi kaya, pinili lang ni Sec. Dinky Soliman ang pagbibigyan ng mga
    relief goods sa typhoon victims. Baka ganoon nga.

  • jeffrey_01

    Its about time to SALVAGE all government officials.  How many days and no relief operations?  Who cares about looting,  people has to survive because of government procrastinations and inefficiencies. 

    The government should pay for all the looted goods.

  • Garo Ungaro

    its sad …when disasters like this is being run by politics…its possible election time is just around the corner…it will come out later during election time…mean time they can accept some of the disasters victime as colateral damage….at this time its just statistics number…no matter how big?…

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Gibz-Dualo/1271274772 Gibz Dualo

    Kung tayong mga ordinaryong citizens lang tumutulong at nakakapansin sa mga ganitong pangyayari pero bakit yung Govt. officials nag bubulag bulagan parin yata? di ko ma gets tong mga taong to.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement