APEC 2015 APEC 2015 APEC 2015

‘Official’ toll 95;‘unofficial’: 224 dead; Aquino irked


01:26 AM December 6th, 2012

By: Nikko Dizon, December 6th, 2012 01:26 AM

President Benigno Aquino III. AFP FILE PHOTO

President Aquino is irked at the confusing discrepancy between the so-called “official” and “unofficial” death toll.

The death toll from Typhoon “Pablo” stood at 95 as of midday Wednesday, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).

The Army’s 10th Infantry Division said at that time that there were 224 people reported dead in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental, including four soldiers from Charlie company of the 66th Infantry Battalion.

Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said the NDRRMC toll was “official” and the Army report should be regarded as “unofficial.”

(In an updated report at 7 p.m., the NDRRMC put the overall toll of lives at 274.)

Qualifying the reports was directed Wednesday by Gazmin after an apparent discrepancy in the figures reported by the NDRRMC and the media.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer learned that President Aquino was irked by the different numbers.

“Figures coming from the NDRRMC will be the official death count while those coming from the field or the ground will be considered the unofficial death toll,” Gazmin told the Inquirer.

He likened this to the official and unofficial vote count of the Commission on Elections and National Citizens Movement for Free Elections.


Certify first

Gazmin said that the casualties should first be “certified” by the Department of Health, before being reported as an official body count.

“It has to go through this protocol,” Gazmin said. He said that the casualties reported by the NDRRMC had already been verified by the DOH.

NDRRMC Executive Director Benito Ramos said there was indeed “confusion” with the death toll.

He added that the figures coming from the NDRRMC were lower from those gathered from the ground because the transmittal of reports from the regional Office of Civil Defense (OCD) followed a process, which also took time.

It is made worse when communication and power lines are down, making it difficult for the regional and local OCDs to relay their reports, according to Ramos.

More ‘prudent’

He said the NDRRMC also wanted to spare the families of the casualties from the anguish brought by “raw information” being released.

Ramos said that regional OCD offices would issue directives to local government officials to be more “prudent” in releasing disaster updates,  especially in reporting casualties.

Lt. Col. Lyndon Paniza, spokesperson of the Army’s 10th ID, said that there were 143 dead in Compostela Valley and 81 in Davao Oriental. The 10th ID has jurisdiction over these provinces.

According to Paniza, 17 soldiers from the 66th IB’s Charlie company were rescued yesterday and were rushed to Tagum Regional Hospital. He said in a report later Wednesday that four soldiers were killed in the flooding.

‘Red area’

He earlier said eight soldiers were missing and identified them as Sergeant Panague, Private First Class Armodia, Private First Class Batua, Sergeant Conejos, Private First Class Hingosa, Private First Class Hopeda, Private First Class Jegapo and Private First Class Aranez.

The Charlie company had set up a temporary command post in Andap village as part of the Army’s peace and development program. New Bataan town was said to be a “Red area,” a term used by the military when an area is heavily influenced by communist insurgents.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.