Quantcast
Latest Stories

Cop in drug ring exposé in NBI custody

By ,

A day after Police Officer 3 Alexander Saez publicly accused his fellow policemen of operating a drug syndicate right inside the Taguig City police station, he has just one thing on his mind: His family’s safety.

“I’m fine. I’m under the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). But I ask President Benigno Aquino III to please protect my family,” Saez told the Philippined Daily Inquirer in a phone interview Tuesday.

In a media forum the other day, he said that he was afraid for his life after he was charged with libel in connection with an affidavit he recently executed in which he accused his superior, Taguig police chief Senior Supt. Tomas Apolinario, and nine other policemen of engaging in “drug recycling” or  the reselling of confiscated illegal drugs to pushers in the city.

His exposé prompted National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Chief Supt. Leonardo Espina to form an investigating team to look into his allegations Tuesday.

In a letter to Espina two months ago, Saez said that when he was assigned as an investigator to the Taguig police station’s Anti-Illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Group from May to October last year, he took part in the “drug recycling activities” along with Apolinario, Senior Insp. Jerry Amindalan, SPO2 Ernesto Sanchez, Police Officers 3 Noel Antillon Jr., Christopher Bonifacio, Joseph More, Elric Valle, Jowel Briones, Marvin Zata-Has and PO1 Jerry Balbin.

He added that during that period, he and the others made at least P5 million, with his take totaling around P200,000.

Saez, who joined the Philippine National Police in 1997, said he was eventually bothered by his conscience and wrote Espina because it was “the only right thing to do as a police officer, soldier of Christ and citizen.”

Apolinario and the other policemen, however, dismissed Saez’s allegations as “malicious and defamatory.” They also described him as “a disgruntled police officer” in the libel case they filed against him in the Taguig City Prosecutor’s Office on Nov. 26.

They added that Saez was relieved from the team on Oct. 28, 2011, because he was “downgrading charges against suspects, unlawfully taking personal things during operations and falsifying the signatures of his superiors.”

But Saez denied he was acting out of “a personal grudge.” “What I say is true. I am not complaining, I am revealing information,” he said over the phone.

He added that he remained in active service with the Taguig police community precinct 11 and belied reports that he had been slapped a one-year suspension. According to him, he filed for a leave of absence on Nov. 26.

Espina, meanwhile, said that once the NCRPO receives a copy of Saez’s criminal complaint, it could be used as a basis for the conduct of administrative proceedings against Apolinario and his men.

“We will proceed objectively, factually, to ferret out the truth. I won’t allow anomalies but let us also not jump to conclusions. I want a fair trial,” he said in an interview.

“These are very serious allegations. We will have to dig deeper to see who is telling the truth,” he added in a statement.

An NBI official confirmed Tuesday that Saez was under the temporary custody of the bureau while it is investigating his complaint.

Lawyer Daniel Daganzo, head agent of the NBI Special Investigation Services, said the policemen sought protection from the bureau the other day.

“Saez is here and seeking protective custody, however, we are still assessing his case,” Daganzo said.

But he added that they have started looking into his allegations with subpoenas already sent out to those named in his affidavit, including Apolinario.

The NBI agent also said that Saez had turned over documents about the police syndicate to the bureau, including the supposed second police blotter.

Saez claimed that the police team maintained two blotters upon the order of Apolinario.

The first listed small cases while the other one contained records of crime cases, including drug-related incidents and reflected the real crime and order situation in Taguig, he added.

The second one was used to extort money from suspected drug dealers, he claimed.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Drugs , Metro , News




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  3. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  4. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  7. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  8. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Ex-PBA player Bryan Gahol dies in road mishap
Advertisement

News

  • Napoles tags over 100 officials in pork scam – Lacson
  • Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  • Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  • 43 out of 414 Etihad passengers yet to be found, tested for MERS-CoV – Palace
  • Maid confesses in killing of 2 and stabbing of employer in Laguna
  • Sports

  • San Mig Coffee grinds out win over Alaska to force decider
  • UP nips St. Benilde; Adamson blasts RTU in Filoil women’s caging
  • Kevin Garnett responds to Raptors’ GM F word
  • Albert Pujols hits 500th HR of major league career
  • UST posts twin kill in Filoil pre-season cup opening day
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Bollywood Oscars, film stars come to Florida
  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Business

  • SM to rebuild Tacloban hospital
  • PSEi slips after 4-day rally
  • Toyota sells 2.58 million vehicles, outselling GM
  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • China won’t budge, wants PH gov’t to apologize to HK
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement