Quantcast
Latest Stories

Thousands in Visayas heed evacuation call ahead of ‘Pablo’

By

Tacloban City Mayor Alfred Romualdez

TACLOBAN CITY, Philippines–Thousands of residents in Tacloban City, Leyte and St. Bernard, Southern Leyte were evacuated as a preemptive measure even as heavy rains spawned by Typhoon “Pablo” started pouring in various areas in the Visayas.

In other areas like Bacolod City, residents in coastal areas have packed their belongings to prepare for evacuation should Pablo dump heavy rains and cause storm surges.

Tacloban City Mayor Alfred Romualdez said that about 247 families or about 1,214 persons from seven barangays were preemptively evacuated since Monday night and taken to the Tacloban City Convention Center.

Romualdez said that by doing the preemptive evacuation, none of the residents of the villages, which are all located along the coast, would put in harm’s way due to Pablo.

Karen Baynadaca of Barangay 90, of Tacloban City, said that she heeded the call of the city government to temporary leave their house to ensure the safety of her family.

“We just brought our personal belongings. My husband, Ronnie, chose to stay at our home to guard our other belongings,” the 25-year-old mother of two children said.

In Southern Leyte, more than 764 families were evacuated to designated  centers and public school building due to  … Pablo,” said Marichu Tan, head of the province’s Office of the Civil Defense.

The evacuees from Sogod (86 families), St. Bernard (500), Limasawa (123), Padre Burgos (15), Pintuyan (24), Hinundayan (16) and Maasin City (30), Tan said.

In Negros Oriental, residents prepared for typhoon’s onslaught by stocking up on supplies such as food, water, snacks, flashlights and batteries.

The local officials of the cities of Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue and Cebu also implemented preemptive evacuation of families living beside creeks and rivers and in landslide-prone areas.

In Dumaguete City, however, the threat of the typhoon leaving families homeless has been minimized as most of the victims of Tropical Storm “Sendong,” which struck Mindanao and Visayas the same month last year, have been relocated to safer ground.

In Barangay Banago, Bacolod City about 500 residents lived in areas often hit by flash floods, said village secretary Dionisio de la Cruz. Two schools and a church have been opened for possible evacuation site and vehicles are on standby, he added.

Light to heavy rain poured in various areas in the Visayas on Tuesday.

Southern Leyte, especially the Panaon areas and those facing the Pacific Ocean, experienced heavy rains.

However, the wind was not strong even if the province has been placed under typhoon signal number 3, said Elfledo Hernandez of the Southern Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

While Cebu just experienced light to moderate rains and winds on Tuesday morning, officials were worried that the worst would happen in the afternoon or in the evening.

Elsewhere in the Eastern Visayas, some cottages located in a beach resort on Divinobo island in Borongan City, Eastern Samar were destroyed due to the storm surge, said provincial disaster risk reduction management chief Peregrino Balase.

Otherwise, everything was “normal” in the province, Balase said.

“There is no report of evacuation nor any flooding or landslide incidents in any part of the province,” Balase said in a phone interview on Tuesday.

The same was true in Samar, which was only experiencing scattered rain shower, according Judy Bantulan, provincial director of the Department of Interior and Local Government.

In Capiz, authorities remained on alert although the weather bureau has lowered the typhoon signal in the province from two to one.

On the other hand, more than 500 passengers were stranded in various ports in Southern Leyte (105), Leyte (104), Samar (20), Northern Samar (72) and Cebu (219) as the Coast Guard has prevented sea vessels of all types and sizes from sailing.

Almost all provincial flights at the Mactan Cebu International Airport were canceled due to bad weather but the flights of Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific to and from Manila remained normal, according to MCIA public affairs manager Mary Ann Dimabayao.

Dimabayao said 17 round trip flights of Airphil Express and 13 round trip flights Cebu Pacific flights. These flights are supposedly to and from Davao City, Tacloban City, Cagayan de Oro City, Iloilo City, Butuan City, Ozamis City, Kalibo in Aklan, Pagadian City, Surigao City, Puerto Princesa City in Palawan and General Santos City.

Air Philippines flights to and from Hong Kong were also suspended, but the Cathay Pacific flight to and from Hong Kong, as well as the flights to and from Singapore and Inchun, Korea remained normal. Reports from Jani Arnaiz, Joey Gabieta, Carla Gomez, Jhunnex Napallacan and Felipe Celino, Inquirer Visayas


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


More Philippine Weather News

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: disaster , Evacuation , News , Regions , storm , Typhoon , Typhoon Pablo , Weather




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  2. Chinese lawyers say they were tortured by police
  3. Hair salon’s Kim Jong Un poster riles embassy
  4. Siquijor ‘healer’: For every cure, there’s a plant
  5. State seeks guilty verdict for Abalos
  6. Why college grads end up in the PNP
  7. Estrada: I will pray for my detractors
  8. Miraculous image makes Gapan City top site for pilgrimage in Central Luzon
  9. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  10. Five men from Cavite found dead in jeep in Batangas
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • After quake, makeshift churches welcome pilgrims in Bohol
  • UN warns banana fungus spreading from Southeast Asia
  • Massive infra spending set
  • ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  • Cardinal Tagle to faithful: Join politics to clean it
  • Sports

  • Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  • Manny Pacquiao in PBA? If so, he’ll wear No. 17
  • PSC sets Blu Girls US training
  • Power Pinoys settle for 7th place
  • Successful coaches to get raise
  • Lifestyle

  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • The truffled mac ‘n’ cheese, eggs benedict, chicken leg confit are excellent
  • Entertainment

  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Derek more private with new girlfriend
  • ‘Community’ star happy with return of show’s creator
  • Jealousy is kid stuff
  • Mommy-daughter adventure continues
  • Business

  • PH presses bid to keep rice import controls
  • PSEi continues to gain
  • Number of retrenched workers rose by 42% in ’13
  • PH seen to sustain rise in FDIs
  • Gov’t subsidies to state firms fell in first 2 months
  • Technology

  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Another reason to quit social media this Holy Week: your safety
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • First Fil-Am elected to Sierra Madre, Calif. city council
  • UC Irvine cultural night to dramatize clash of values in immigrant family
  • Filipino sweets and info served at UC Berkeley Spring Fest
  • Milpitas, California kids wrap up a successful run of ‘The Wiz’
  • Netizens welcome Japan’s visa-free travel plan
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement