More classes suspended in Visayas
MANILA, Philippines—Several provinces and major cities in the Visayas region have suspended classes as typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha) ravages Mindanao Tuesday.
Chief Superintendent Agrimero Cruz Jr., Police Regional Office 6 Regional Director, said in a text advisory that the provinces of Capiz, Iloilo, Negros Occidental, and Guimaras, have all suspended classes in the elementary and secondary levels ahead of the arrival of Pablo.
Bacolod city and Iloilo city have also suspended classes in the primary and secondary levels, Cruz said.
Capiz Governor Victor Tanco made the announcement in his province while Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. called for the suspension of classes in Negros Occidental, Cruz said.
Felipe Hilan Nava, Guimaras governor, made the announcement in his province while Vice Mayor Jude Thaddeus Aliguin Saysón of Bacolod city and Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog of Iloilo city made the declaration in their respective local government units.
Other provinces were normal as of 10 am, Cruz said. No untoward incidents have been monitored so far, he added.
Pablo made landfall on the eastern side of Mindanao early Tuesday. Thousands of residents in the typhoons path have already been evacuated.
Pablo is expected to be the strongest typhoon to hit the country this year.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.