Signal No. 3 raised over 7 areas in Mindanao as `Pablo’ heads landBy Frances Mangosing, Karen Boncocan, Matikas Santos |INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines – Signal number 3 has been raised over seven areas in Mindanao Monday as Typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha) maintained its strength as it continued heading towards the country.
The provinces of Surigao del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Siargao, Dinagat, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, and Davao Oriental are now under Signal number 3, according to the 11 a.m. weather bulletin of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa).
Meanwhile, signal number 2 has been raised in the provinces of Southern Leyte, Bohol, Camiguin, Misamis Oriental, Bukidnon,Davao del Norte, and Compostela Valley.
More areas in the Visayas and Mindanao were put under signal number 1 including Cuyo Island in Luzon. Eastern Samar, Western Samar, Leyte, Biliran, Aklan, Capiz, Antique, Iloilo, Guimaras, Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, Cebu, Siquijor have all been placed under signal number 1.
In Mindanao, the Zamboanga Provinces, Lanao Provinces, Davao del Sur, North Cotabato, and Maguindanao are also under signal number 1, Pagasa said.
Pagasa has recorded Pablo’s strength at 175 kilometers per hour (kph) maximum sustained winds with gustiness of up to 210 kph.
The center of the typhoon was located at 550 kilometers southeast of Hintuan, Surigao del Sur, the report said.
The rainfall amount is estimated to be from 15 to 30 millimeters per hour, considered as heavy to intense, within the 600 kilometer diameter of the Typhoon.
Pablo continues to move in a West Northwest direction at 24 kph, Pagasa said.
Residents near the shore and those living in mountainous areas have been warned of the potential destruction the storm may cause such as floods and landslides. Those living in coastal areas under Signal No. 3 and 2 were likewise alerted on possible storm surges and big waves. Fishermen and other seacraft have been warned not to venture out to sea.
Local government units have previously been warned by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) to conduct preemptive evacuation to ensure the safety of residents.