Quantcast
pork barrel

An elephant electrocuted to death in Indonesia



Photo from google maps

JAKARTA, Indonesia – A tourism official said an endangered Sumatran elephant has been found dead, apparently after biting a high-voltage wire in a recreation park in central Indonesia.

Aziz Ahmad, head of cultural and tourism office in the central Java town of Banjarnegara said Thursday that the 14-year-old female elephant was found lying in her cage Wednesday at the Serulingmas Wildlife Recreation Park, with the power line in her burned mouth.

He said the electrical wires had been connected to a nearby power pole by welders repairing the cages.

The death leaves only a 22-year-old male in the park.

More human activity in the jungles means that fewer than 3,000 Sumatran elephants are left in the wild.


Follow Us




Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Animals , Indonesia




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement