Quantcast
Latest Stories

37 more partylist groups barred in 2013 polls

By

Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Wednesday announced that it had barred 37 more partylist groups from running in next year’s mid-term elections.

Comelec chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr., in a press conference, said that among those disqualified were two existing partylists: Butil and Binhi.

Butil partylist, a group which seeks to provide “political empowerment” to farmers, is represented in the 15th Congress by Rep. Agapito Guanlao.

He said that the votes on the two existing partylists were not unanimous but did not elaborate on why they were cancelled.

Brillantes also said that the following new applicants had been denied their requests for accreditation:

1 Ang Batas (1 Ang Bagong Alyansang Tagapagtaguyod ng Adhikaing Sambayanan)
1-A Health
1-AID DALAW INC. (1-Alliance of Inmates Detainees and Dalaw)
1-AIMCOOP (Aurora Integrated Multi-Purpose Cooperative)
1-AKONG MINIMUM WAGER (1-Akong Minimum Wage Earner)
1-APTO (1 – Alliance Of Public Transport Organization)
1-KOOP Mindanao (USA KA KAHUGPUNGAN SA MGA KOOPERATIBA ALANGSA KALINAW
UG KALAMBUAN SA MINDANAO)
1PAGASA (The Philippine Association of GSIS, AFPSLAI, SSS and Allied
Members, Inc.)
1TEACH (1 Team For Education Advancement and Change Inc.)
4M (Magdiwang Maharlikang Mamamayan Movement)
4P’s (Pahiyom Pobreng Pamilyang Pinoy, Inc)
AAA (AAA-Aviation Advancement Advocates Inc.)
AAD (Ang Ating Damayan Citizens Alliance)
ABI (Apila Ng Bayan Inc)
ABP (Aktibong Bayang Pilipino Inc.)
ACES (Alliance of Concerned Entrepreneurs for Food Security, Inc.)
ACTS-OFW (Acts-Overseas Filipino Workers Coalition of Organizations)
Ako Bisaya Political Party
AKOPA (Ako ang Pasahero, Inc.)
ANFBI (Active National Federation of Bantay Bayan Inc.)
APELA (Advocates for Penology Enhancement and Legal Assistance Inc.)
ARBA Inc. (Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Association, Inc.)
ASD (Adult School Drop-Out)
ATTOM (Alyansang mga Tsuper at Transport Operators ng Mindanao, Inc.,)
BRAVO (Bravo For Justice, Inc.)
BRP-SSS (Social Security System Beneficiaries, Retirees, Pensioners
Association Incorporated)
HAPPI (Hanapbuhay Para Sa Pinoy, Inc.)
MAR (Mindanao Alliance For Reforms)
MELCHORA (Movement of Women for Change and Reform)
NOYPI (Ang Bagong Noypi Movement, Inc.)
PM Coalition (Partidong Manggagawa Coalition)
PPP (Pilipinas Para Sa Pinoy)
SPA (Samahan ng mga Personero sa Aduana Inc)
WACCAA (Worldwide Anti-Crime and Child Abuse Assistance Group, Inc.)
   WWW.FOREXDEALERS.COM

He said that the new applicants were denied accreditation in the division levels and the decisions were affirmed by the en banc.

Meanwhile, when pressed by reporters about the decision on the group Ang Mata’y Alagaan (AMA), Brillantes said the group was likely to be allowed to participate in the partylist race.

“Palagay ko granted pero hindi rin unanimous….. tapos na voting namin doon (I think it was granted but no unanimous…the voting is over),” Brillantes said.

Election watchdog Kontra Daya had opposed the inclusion of the group Ang Mata’y Alagaan in the list of groups to be allowed by the Comelec to run in the party-list elections next year. Kontra Daya, in earlier reports, claimed that that some groups violated the Comelec rules when they submitted names of “questionable” individuals as their nominees.

Also, the group claimed that most of the names submitted as nominees do not “represent the interest of the marginalized and underrepresented” due to their political and business backgrounds.

Leading nominees of the group include the wife and two children of Supreme Court Justice Presbitero Velasco.

Brillantes said that Ang Mata’y Alagaan originally had three members of Velasco’s family as nominees but that two of them withdrew. He however declined to disclose names.

The Comelec has been undergoing a re-evaluation of old and new partylist groups as part of their efforts to cleanse the party-list system, which has been criticized as being dominated by bogus organizations or by groups whose nominees were either multimillionaires, former government officials or members of powerful political clans.

“This is the first time that we are taking out existing partylists…and this is also the first time that we are disallowing the participation of so many new applicants,” Brillantes said when asked to describe the party-list purge.

Brillantes said that they would also be releasing a final list of all the partylists that will be allowed to run in the partylist race Thursday. He had earlier noted that a maximum of 100 partylist groups would be allowed to join the midterm elections next year.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: 2013 elections , Comelec , Partylist groups , Politics




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  2. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  3. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  4. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  5. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  6. Massive infra spending set
  7. South Korea president shouted down by distraught parents
  8. Passengers denied chance to escape sinking South Korea ferry
  9. OFW brings MERS virus to Philippines
  10. Lacson’s wife loses diamond earring to thieves but recovers jewelry quickly with police arrest
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  4. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  5. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  6. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  7. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  8. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  9. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  5. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  6. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  7. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  8. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  9. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  10. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
Advertisement

News

  • Easter crucifixions draw huge crowds
  • Gunmen kill 20 at Sudan UN base–US envoy
  • S. Korea ferry rescue stalls as anger spreads
  • Sub dives deeper in hunt for missing MH370
  • US urges Myanmar to ease tensions
  • Sports

  • Can Spurs get back at Heat? Can they survive West?
  • Hopkins, 49, seeks win for the ageless
  • LeBron still No. 1 with NBA’s most popular jersey
  • Pacquiao back in PH, heads home to wife, kids
  • Vietnam pulls out of hosting Asian Games due to lack of funds
  • Lifestyle

  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Entertainment

  • Singer Chris Brown’s bodyguard on trial in DC
  • Whoopi Goldberg debuts as marijuana columnist
  • ‘X-men’ director accused of sex assault on teen boy
  • Cannes film festival launches race for 2014 Palme d’Or
  • Jones, Godard, Cronenberg in competition at Cannes
  • Business

  • Barbie doll has a problem
  • Oil prices mixed ahead of long Easter weekend
  • US stocks end mostly higher after earnings deluge
  • Total says makes ‘very promising’ oil find off Ivory Coast
  • ‘Chinese Twitter’ firm Weibo to go public in US
  • Technology

  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Filipinos #PrayForSouthKorea
  • Taylor Swift tries video blogging, crashes into fan’s bridal shower
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Last call for nominations to ’14 Presidential Awards
  • San Francisco business coalition slams proposed tax on sugary drinks
  • A ‘time-travel’ production of ‘Les Miserable’ at Stanford
  • Filipina Maryknoll sister honored for years of service
  • Malaysia quarantines 64 villagers over MERS virus
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement