Quantcast
pope ph

US man choked to death in roach-eating contest

By |


In this file frame grab made from video provided by Sarah Bernard, Edward Archbold celebrates winning a roach-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Fla. Archbold, 32, died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said. Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of “asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents,” according to an autopsy report released Monday, Nov. 26, 2012 by the Broward County medical examiner’s office. The death has been ruled an accident. AP/Courtesy Sarah Bernard, File

MIAMI – A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches to win a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, according to an autopsy released Monday.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of “asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents,” according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner’s office. It said his airway was obstructed by the roach body parts, which caused him to not be able to breathe.

“There is a flap called the epiglottis that is supposed to stop objects from going into the lungs,” medical examiner Craig T. Mallak wrote in an email to the AP. “Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work. In the video you could see him trying to swallow and breathe at the same time. We can’t do both simultaneously.”

Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.

“It’s hard to even think about it,” said Kim Crawford, co-owner of Busch Canvas & Interiors where Archbold worked for four years. “It does bring a little closure because not knowing always puts that question mark out there.”

Crawford described Archbold as a “smart, good guy” who was “really good friends to people. She said a photo of Archbold and news clippings of the accident still hang in the main office.

“It’s just a tragedy.”

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in the Oct. 6 contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) north of Miami.

Messages left with the store’s owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.

Archbold became ill shortly after winning the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

About 30 people ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.


Follow Us


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: contests , Florida , United States


  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_EDXEVEFHW2ZT5VWHDWBNM6XGE4 RyanE

    “Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in the Oct. 6
    contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles
    (64 kilometers) north of Miami.”

    Hmm.. I thought this is news. Rather, it’s history..

  • TUBAGBOHOL.com

    Python is so common in the Philippines but it is priceless in Florida, USA?

  • Guest

    That is headline news in PDI? Is PDI an arm of US news media?

  • droccu

    Crawford described Archbold as a “smart, good guy” ……well apparently not smart enough…

  • walt723

    so very old lame news, try not to copy what yahoo news release and think of something else. this is one lame and lazy work.

  • maGGot_SOUP

    old News



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement